Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"Clicking" sound when I breathe in...
RE: "Clicking" sound when I breathe in...
I always drag my climatline hose under the covers in winter, to help keep it warm and avoid condensation. I have my S9 quite close to the bed and slightly higher than the mask, as per the destructions. I trap the hose, about 10" from the machine, under my pillow and from there have it run under the bedding. Occasionally, the hose will escape and droop down toward the floor, which is when I (rarely) experience the dreaded gurgle.

BTW, my climateline hose warms up fairly quickly after switching the machine on but then cools down again, staying (so it seems) cold throughout the night, if I don't keep it next to my body. Does that sound right, or should the hose stay warm?
Post Reply Post Reply
I too, get some clicking sounds from my mask / hose swivel joint. This happens occasionally. It's happened with both my AirFit F20 and my F30 masks. 

As far as I know, I haven't had any rain out issues since having started SA therapy. When I took my in-lab sleep study tests, it happened there as well. I was using an AirFit F20 mask. 

I'm thinking it has something to do with the hose swivel. I say that because as soon as it starts, I can change my breathing pattern and it then stops. It seems to happen if I take short, accelerated breaths.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2019, 04:50 AM)StevesSp Wrote: I always drag my climatline hose under the covers in winter, to help keep it warm and avoid condensation. I have my S9 quite close to the bed and slightly higher than the mask, as per the destructions. I trap the hose, about 10" from the machine, under my pillow and from there have it run under the bedding. Occasionally, the hose will escape and droop down toward the floor, which is when I (rarely) experience the dreaded gurgle.

BTW, my climateline hose warms up fairly quickly after switching the machine on but then cools down again, staying (so it seems) cold throughout the night, if I don't keep it next to my body. Does that sound right, or should the hose stay warm?

My experience with the heated hose is that there’s a perception of being warm then cooling off a bit. It’s probably me and not a malfunction as I don’t get rainout. And that’s even with the humidifier on 8 as it’s sometimes set that way. So this warm then cooling sensation is probably normal unless your heated hose isn’t reducing rainout.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
this is a seven year old thread but this issue has come up several times recently. it could very well be the mask but I'm quite sure in my case it's not the p10 nasal pillows I use. I often hear a clicking sound that I can sometimes see in the movement of the hose and which I'm guessing is a humidifier chamber seal. I think I can see it in the movement of the hose. it happens in transitions between inhale/exhale when pressure is higher or with a sharp inhale. if I concentrate on breathing easily and smoothly it stops. I hear it more with my older water chamber. I can make it stop by wiggling, reinserting the water chamber and/or either resting the chamber against the wall adjacent to my nightstand or pulling it away from the wall. sometimes reaching into the machine where the chamber seats and wetting the silicone-y internal water chamber seals helps. the seal internal to the chamber may be a factor too and one of these days I'll be forced to replace the chamber. I keep water in the chamber but don't turn it on. the clicking seems to happen more as the water level drops. other times if the water chamber doesn't seat just right I get a loud whistling from it, worse on inhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2012, 06:17 PM)zonk Wrote: Also you could place the hose under the bed covers and the S9 lower than the bed
also lower the setting just a notch may help.

This.  I fall asleep on my back nearly 50% of the time, so in anticipation I bring the hose all the way over to my opposite side from the machine and allow it to loop up to my face.  This means the length of hose must lie across my midriff, but I place it over the top sheet and under the covers.  My body heat, at least for much of the night, helps to keep the tubing warm.  Also, the friction afforded by both the sheet and the covers helps to keep the hose from looping to the floor as I toss and turn.

..or, spring for a climatline hose.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm no expert, but:

The masks, and the coupling to the hose, have valves that close if there isn't enough pressure coming from the CPAP machine to close them, when you breath in. If they didn't, and you lost power, you wouldn't get enough fresh air and oxygen, and would suffocate.

Therefore, a leak, anywhere, could produce this effect. E.g., check the fit of your mask. Also, make sure the humidifier is connected firmly, everywhere, and that everything is seated right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Henry Cho...What’s That Clicking Noise?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIIW, I had the same problem, after I upped my humidity level a level. But, at about the same time, I rolled over onto my heated hose, which must have damaged the wire, and it no longer gets warm. I'm annoyed it was so fragile.

I also noticed there was a little water in the hose after that night. 

I "fixed" it by draining the hose, and dropping the humidity level two notches.

I understand why killing the heating element would cause water condensation. But why would water affect the flaps?
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, if the part the hose nearest you is suspended higher than both you and the machine (but never put the machine higher than you, or you could drown), most of the water runs back to the machine, instead of to you. But that's only theory; I haven't tried it.

Editted by poster: OOPS, I'm sorry - someone else already gave this answer. I'm an idiot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2019, 10:47 PM)camper2 Wrote: FWIIW, I had the same problem, after I upped my humidity level a level. But, at about the same time, I rolled over onto my heated hose, which must have damaged the wire, and it no longer gets warm. I'm annoyed it was so fragile.

I also noticed there was a little water in the hose after that night. 

I "fixed" it by draining the hose, and dropping the humidity level two notches.

I understand why killing the heating element would cause water condensation. But why would water affect the flaps?

The water in the tube it’s self makes a clicking noise, it’s got nothing to do with the flaps
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 182 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,786 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 1,873 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,174 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.