Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Climate Line worsens my AHI
Climate Line worsens my AHI
When I first got my S9 Autoset a few weeks ago, it came the SlimLine tubing. I ran my S5hi humidifier using that tumbing for about a week, before requesting the Climateline heated tube from my DME, when I learned about it on this forum. I was pleasantly surprised that the DME said it was covered by my insurance.

However, after getting the Climate Line, I have noticed that my AHI numbers, which were consistently below one with the Slimline tubing, have consistently become, as high as 3.6, with the Climateline. Using Rescan, I noticed that the maximum pressure and median pressure had gone up some, and that occasionally I was experiencing more leaks. After tightening my Mirage FX nasal mask, those numbers did not improve.

I read elsewhere that the only problem with an Autoset machine is that it can't distinguish nasal congestion from upper airway obstruction. If it encounters nasal congestion of any sort, it may have to deliver a higher pressure to overcome that. While I wasn't aware of any significant nasal congestion with the Climateline, is it possible that the increased humidity (80 percent) and temperature (80 degrees F) delivered by the Climate Line is causing enough intermittent nasal mucosal swelling to cause the AHI to go up?

While I understand there is no worry about an AHI of 3.6, I thought I would experiement last night to see what my AHI would be if I ran the S5hi humidifier in passover mode. (It delivered humidity, but, of course, much less with the Climate Control turned off.) I noticed no difference in comfort. I awoke this morning to find that the AHI was 0.7. This was the first time my AHI was below 1.0, since getting the Climateline Tubing. I'll need to do this a few nights more to be sure that last night's low AHI reading wasn't an aberation, but understand that I was consistently getting sub one AHI results with just the slim line tubing and a humidity setting of 3.

Are there others who have experienced a worsening AHI, when they increased the temperature and humidity? Is this common?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Climate Line worsens my AHI
Yes, it can happen. Although usually you notice the stuffiness when you wake up and through some of the day.

Try turning the humidity and hose temp down. 80 is rather high for non-winter.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The only reason I set the Climateline temp and humidity to 80 was this was the default setting. Furthermore, my wife keeps the air conditioning so cranked up, I can't stand it. It's cold and dry in my home. For practical purposes, it IS winter in my house. I thought the warmth at my face would help me feel better or at least warmer. All of this discussion, for practical purposes is an intellectual exercise, since even with the higher AHI, I can't honestly say I felt any worse in the morning. I still feel rested with an AHI of 3.6. Still, I thought it was interesting enough to report my experience. Others, trying to bring their AHI down, might want to look at their Climateline settings along with their mask leak numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the climate control auto mode and have not experienced any AHI difference using the climate line. Humidity is a personal preference some like it higher and some lower but everyone is different. Whats the leak?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah. I forget others have that modern thing called "air conditioning".

Too-funnyLaugh-a-lot

Someday I hope to upgrade the house to have more than 10 outlets.

If you are stuffy from it, you can still try turning the temp down slightly. Too much humidity can cause stuffiness just as too dry will. You can try turning the water down but leaving the hose where it is. Or visa versa.

It'll be interesting to hear (read) how it works for you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have my temperature at 68F and my humidity level at 3.0. Have never had any problems. I did find that the higher temperature I tried, the more my nose stuffed up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Airsense 11 flashing Climate Line Connected DaveHirschler 4 1,858 08-28-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  AirSense 11 Climate Line Operation Sleepy Quixote 2 618 06-28-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  Slim line cpap tubing. silverdr 4 597 06-05-2023, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  CPAP device actually worsens tiredness during day? davide.fez 8 875 05-27-2023, 11:01 AM
Last Post: davide.fez
  Climate line hose question Rice95 0 494 04-28-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Rice95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.