Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding Resp. Rate - Oxygen levels
Understanding Resp. Rate - Oxygen levels
Can someone tell me about Respiratory rate and if my numbers are good or not? Also, how do I tell my oxygen level with Sleepyhead? I don't see it anywhere.

Resp. RateRate of breaths per minute (Breaths/min)
Min: 0.00
Med: 17.60
95%: 22.40
Max: 43.60

Thanks,
Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding Resp. Rate - Oxygen levels
Are you using an oximeter that will interface with SleepyHead? If not look for one that uses the CMS-50 chip. Only the following models of that chip will work: 50D+, 50F, and 50I. Also, Supplier #19 has models that will interface.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One average, a respiratory rate around 15 BPM, at rest, is normal.
(Median = 17.6 is in the ball park.)

You need an oximeter to know your Oxygen level. Sleepyhead has been written to upload data from some of the oximeters available.
Check Supplier #19 on the supplier list -- see top of page for the "Suppler List."
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Adequate minute ventilation is much more than just respiratory rate. The volume of gas exchanged on a breath (inhaled OR exhaled) is called the tidal volume (VT). The tidal volume is made up of two smaller volumes: DEADSPACE ventilation (does not participate in gas exchange (pharynx, trachea, bronchi, bronchioles) and ALVEOLAR ventilation (participates in gas exchange (the alveoli).

Deadspace volume is a FIXED number (approximately 150 ml in the average adult). Alveolar ventilation is variable; deeper breaths equate to better alveolar ventilation and gas exchange. This generally results in better oxygen saturation in the blood. Alveolar ventilation may also be increased by increasing respiratory rate (at same VT) EXCEPT part of each VT is wasted as deadspace ventilation. This is not as effective as just increasing the depth of each breath, or VT.

"xPAP" works on a number of ways. The first is by opening the airways including the terminal bronchioles and the alveoli. This allows more alveoli to participate in gas exchange for a longer period of time during each breath. The second is that the pressure augments each breath likely resulting in an increase in VT. The end result of these two effects is better oxygenation.

Regarding your numbers: 17-22 breaths per minute is fine. 40+ is excessive and will result in small breaths of low VT and less efficient gas exchange. On other words, you are doing well!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 75 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 298 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 337 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 158 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 946 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 378 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.