Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not a mouth breather, but am w mask on
Not a mouth breather, but am w mask on
I have never been a mouth breather - day or not.  Yet w nasal pillow mask on, my mouth opens and gets dry. Anyone know why?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not a mouth breather, but am w mask on
What usually happens is your muscles relax while you sleep and your jaw flops open. The best way to address it is with a chin strap or a soft cervical collar. Both can prevent the jaw from dropping open.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Escape of air pressure will seek a path of the least resistance. In other words, the increased air pressure from your cpap machine is probably causing air to escape from your mouth. As Walla Walla said chin straps or other methods can be used to prevent mouth breathing. Good Luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this problem too. I used a chinstrap for a few years but I hated it so much so I decided to just not use the chinstrap and see what happened. That was about a year ago and now I have occasional moments sometimes minutes long where my mouth is open and the air is wooshing out. When I review my sleep data I see the leak detected but it is rarely over the 24/L mark and my AHI has not changed. Given that, I just let it happen.

I just got a new machine with Auto CPAP so I am curious to see if a reduced pressure will stop the open mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I lowered my pressure last night and had a much better night. I now finally understand why I need a different machine... since i have no idea whats happening w this brick.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2018, 08:16 AM)silversnore Wrote: Escape of air pressure will seek a path of the least resistance.  In other words, the increased air pressure from your cpap machine is probably causing air to escape from your mouth.  As Walla Walla said chin straps or other methods can be used to prevent mouth breathing.  Good Luck!!

That is the best description I have seen for a while of what happens.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.