Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Decision Time
Decision Time
Ok after trialling the dreamstation auto and the airsense 10 autoset for well over a month, I am making my purchase tomorrow, I am 99% sold on the dreamstation over the airsense,but for no other reason then I was slightly more comfortable with the dreamstation. Although the use of the airsense was mostly with me post elbow surgery and a sick toddler to attend to.
       I didn't get too adventurous with masks, but felt more then comfortable with the resmed airfit f20. Should have I tried more FFM's?
  Does anyone feel strongly about talking me out of purchasing the dreamstation with a resmed airfit F20 mask?
   Thanks all for your knowledge and support.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Decision Time
G'day Condee. The Dreamstation and Resmed are both fine machines from the market leaders. Both will treat your apnea successfully, though they use a slightly different approach. The Resmed is more aggressive in boosting pressure when it detects precursors such as snoring and flow limitations. The Respironics tries to hold the lowest possible pressure with occasional short bursts of higher pressure. These bursts are intended to see if you get a better result - some people refer to it a a "hunt & peck" method. If you found the Dreamstation treated your apnea successfully and you were more comfortable with it, then that's the one to go for.

There are various different models in both ranges - make sure you get a fully automatic, fully data-capable one. The Dreamstation has at least one model which only gives auto for a month then reverts to fixed pressure - you don't want that. (And I honestly don't know why they bother).

As regards the mask, that is entirely a matter of what fits, is comfortable and doesn't leak. If the F20 meets those criteria then again, that's the one to go for.
Post Reply Post Reply
DB summed it up nicely...

Personally I would be saying "get the Dreamstation" because mine works so well.... for me  Grin 

But in reality you need to pick what works best for you, and if the Dreamstation does that then go for it.

My face mask is a Fisher & Paykel Eson nose mask (yes, I know Eson is nose spelled backwards  Laugh-a-lot ) 

I have no useful input regarding full face masks, but the Eson works great for me and I have no need to change to a FFM at this stage. 

Cleaning and replacement of the humidifier tank and filters on the Dreamstation is a breeze, and you will probably find you don't need to do them as often as recommended in the manual unless you are using it under adverse conditions (such as hard water/highly mineralised water, and dusty room conditions where the CPAP unit is located)

Also replacing your face mask most likely won't be required as often as recommended by the manufacturer, it will be a learning curve as you settle in to the routines. 

Download Sleepyhead (link just below the top banner on this page) so you can transfer the data from the Dreamstation SD card on to your computer, it will help later if you have questions for this group regarding your AHI and other CPAP treatment numbers. 

Good luck with your progress.  Thumbs-up-2

Cheers,
Ock.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would only add that you should try a nasal pillow mask. You may find that your needed pressure is reduced.

And the best one out there is a resmed p10.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
What works the best for is what to go with, and comfort is a big factor in compliance. I have been a Respironics machine user for many years, but the ResMeds are fine machines as are F&K. The machine and the mask do not have to be from the same manufacturer, and again get what works for you. I started with nose pillows and as my pressure increased and I started mouth breathing I "graduated" to the FFMs. Been through any number of them - and here especially it becomes a matter of individual comfort and fit. I have found, for me, that the ResMed masks are more comfortable. Had used the QuatroFX for a number of years, then the AirFit F-10. Have just switched to the F-20 - and I am in love with it. So, if you are going with a DreamStation auto and an Airfit F-20 you are using good stuff!
Breathe Easy...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Condee,
Good luck to you on your machine decision. Get the machine you are most comfortable with and I hope you can find a mask that will work for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the support. I am greatfull for you all to take time to give your reassurance.
AshSF, I will try nasal pillows more seriously once fully settled.
My issue is I sleep with mouth open. ALWAYS! It seems a lot of people train themselves to close there mouths. I just feel so comfortable with my mouth open dribbling everywhere. ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2017, 01:08 AM)Condee Wrote: Does anyone feel strongly about talking me out of purchasing the dreamstation with a resmed airfit F20 mask?
   Thanks all for your knowledge and support.

Mask is a personal choice and the most important for effective therapy
As for machine choice between DreamStation Auto and AirSense 10 AutoSet/AutoSet for Her, both are top end machines as long as are APAP versions, anything else is waste of money but suppose can be pricey in Australia 
I'm happy user of ResMed machines, I like the simplicity of the design and the data on the sleep report screen is easily obtained and understood, even without any software, such as 95% percentile intentional leak rate number (L/m), breakdown of events (obstructive, central) ... but the best advice, go with whatever works best for you and best of luck
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 618 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 172 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 807 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,218 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.