Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SLEEPING FACE DOWN
SLEEPING FACE DOWN
I have been wondering whether sleeping on my stomach can stop or lessen sleep apnea. I don't think I could get used to it again but from birth until early 20s I guess, after hurting my back, I used to sleep on my stomach until a doctor recommended sleeping on my sides, which I have done ever since. I imagine alot of people have other ailments that prevent them from sleeping on their stomach but I thought I would ask anyway. Has anyone tried this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SLEEPING FACE DOWN
I don't know if it will lessen it, but it won't stop it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla, how do you know that it wouldn't stop it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Made mine worser not bedder. (But did stop the (rare) snoring <grin>)
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you able to arrange it so that your face was facing down, or was your head turned to the side?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you sleep on your stomach with your head to the side it is not good for your neck.
They came up with a pillow/mattress system that allows you to sleep face down. It takes some practice, but it does reduce OSA. They say it is good for the back, I don't know.
Here is the study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4389730/

They sell the mattress as "restme."
Post Reply Post Reply
Here it is. Interesting videos.
[Link removed Google rest-me mattress]
"Is it a disease or just a bad habit?"  (sleeping in the wrong position)

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
To the OP, you may be different, but my wife sez I can snore standing on my head, let alone lying face down...or just on my stomach.  One time I thought I was face planted into my mattress.  Turned out my desperate wife was trying to silence me with her pillow...over my face.  Too-funny

It's okay, we made up...

Seriously, you have to figure this out.  Try everything.  Even set up your own camcorder if you must and be prepared to look objectively at what it shows you if the data from a PAP doesn't seem to tell you what you can 'use'.  

I think the wise and nice people here place a LOT of stock in how well you 'think' you slept, and also how you feel when you awaken.  If you feel horrible, but the numbers show you that you have had the lowest AHI and best quality of rest, ostensibly, in your life over the past five nights..........................

I have had my best sleeps, or last hour and a bit of it, when I awaken on my back with my hand behind my head.  I know I'm not alone...many others report the same thing.  Trouble is, that's also the No 1 AAA position for sleep apnea across any population.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 208 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.