Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clogged ear
Clogged ear
For the past week and a half my left ear is clogged. When I tap my jaw or when I'm walking a hollow sound is coming from my ear like when you have water in the ear after showering... however, there's nothing in the outer ear. Since I'm using nasal pillows I thought this is happening because of the CPAP pressure. Anybody out there had this happen?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clogged ear
It's possible that the pressure has gone up your eustachian tube and caused the ear to "pop". I get this sometimes if I yawn with the pressure on. I have to turn the machine off and do some swallowing / stretching to open up the eustachian tube to release the pressure. However it always goes almost immediately - never had it last a week or more. Do you have any other issues such as a cold or sinus infection which could be exacerbating the situation?
Post Reply Post Reply
No I have no cold symptoms like a runny nose or a cough, etc. My wife suggested I blow my nose hard to see if I could move something in there but no luck. There is no pain but just the discomfort  like I have an ear full of water, and when I walk I feel my steps in my ear.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get this occasionally and it is usually an accumulation of cerumen (ear wax) near the eardrum. There is no way to visualize this yourself. It doesn't happen often for me, but when it does, I can get relief using an ear wash system called (of all things) Elephant Ear Washer bottle.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Louis

I'm having blocked ears this week. Happened to have a follow up review and the doc decided to do a pressure test of both ears after first checking for wax build-up. Results were clear and he said there was no water / liquid behind the ear drum. I was told to monitor and see if it subsides over the week. I was again given nasal spray to help with the sinus.  

You can get your wife to shine a torch down the ear canal to see if there is any wax build up. If you are doing a ear wash (flush) for the wax, whatever you do, DO NOT try to blow your nose to pop your ears during that treatment. Water can flow behind and actually cause such a situation. Happened to me once and I ended up with temporary vertigo. 

If you still don't get any better by week's end, you should see the doctor. They will probably give you something to clear it up.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Newbee/Sleep Rider,

Thanks for the reply.
The thing is that I don't produce earwax in the ear that's affected, and my other ear I produce very little wax. Therefore, I don't believe that the wax is the issue. But regardless I will visit the doctor this week to get it checked out since it will be over two weeks with the discomfort. I will post the diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
I experienced the same thing last winter...I did have a bit of a stuffy nose and I do mouth taping as I am a mouth breather/leaker. I am sure the pressure was going to the Eustachian tubes and creating the problem...then I got a full blown case of vertigo...diagnosed as utricle dysfunction. No doctor would agree that it was a result of cpap ...but I am sure it was. 

I started taping less aggressively ...just a 3/4 strip from upper lip to under chin and I did a nasal rinse every night before bed. The symptoms...plugged ears and the vertigo finally disappeared...it took 3 months. My plan from now on is not to use the cpap if I have a cold with stuffy nose and sinus issues. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jackie,

Don't understand why a doctor would not associate this problem with CPAP. My concern is that the symptoms get worse and maybe lead to pain and an inner ear infection, among other things. Don't like that you suffered with it for months... it's already getting old after two weeks. I may go to the doctor this week anyway.
But there's one thing that I would dread; that would be not using my machine. I have become very attached to my Respironics A-Flex, and going from an AHI of over 30 to now for a year and a half averaging .2 to .6 Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Louis R,
I would get your ears checked out, just to make sure there isn't anything serious going on.
It's great to hear that you are doing so well with CPAP therapy, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The tissue surrounding the opening to the eustachian tubes may be swollen and blocking the normal balancing of pressure inside and outside of the ear.
In that case, a salt water gargle might help draw some of the excess fluid out of the tissues (a bit of osmosis).
Cool liquids might shrink the tissues temporarily and help open up the eustachian tubes.
Yawning sometimes helps equalize the pressure balance, too.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Symptoms] Clogged mask side vents by water? nkoq 5 1,364 12-22-2021, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  [CPAP] Nose gets clogged at night davidtren12 8 1,567 02-14-2021, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Clogged Nose & new to CPap Deb Miles 4 1,005 01-25-2021, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Cpap Filters Clogged with Forest Fire Smoke BrassCat 5 1,222 09-29-2020, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Sad [Equipment] CLOGGED AIRWAY gripoll29 3 1,106 03-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Dizziness and clogged ears(newb. question) adin67 8 4,327 03-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Last Post: PaytonA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.