Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clonidine Reduced my AHI
Clonidine Reduced my AHI
Hi Guys,

Last week I increased unintentionally my Clonidine dose and surprisingly, my AHI went down from about 10 to 3-4. Curiously, I tried it few times more and the results were the same. What is even more weird is that mask leaks also  went down significantly…. 

Questions:
1.   Are any of you familiar with a similar phenomenon?
2.   Is Clonidine supposed to reduce Obstructive or Central events? (in my case these are the Obstructives).
3.    Known side effects of Clonidine?
4.   Any explanation regarding the reduction of the mask leak?

Additional notes:

5.   I wrongly told you in a previous thread that it was the Otrivine nose drops that affected my AHI.
6.   I’m using low dose Clodinine for years to treat my blood pressure.

Thanks,
Arik
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clonidine Reduced my AHI
Clonidine can reduce or restrict REM sleep in some.

With REM often comes reduced muscle tone, and with reduced muscle tone comes apneas and mask leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2019, 03:25 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Clonidine can reduce or restrict REM sleep in some.

With REM often comes reduced muscle tone, and with reduced muscle tone comes apneas and mask leaks.

REM and reduced muscle tone? since when?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2019, 07:01 AM)crowtor Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 03:25 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Clonidine can reduce or restrict REM sleep in some.

REM and reduced muscle tone? since when?

Since always.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_eye_movement_sleep

Quote:Rapid eye movement sleep (REM sleepREMS) is a unique phase of sleep in mammals and birds, distinguishable by random/rapid movement of the eyes, accompanied with low muscle tone throughout the body, and the propensity of the sleeper to dream vividly.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/REM-...ivity.aspx

Quote:Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep is marked by movement of the eyes and low muscle tone in the body, in addition to more rapid brain waves, similar to that of an awake individual.

https://www.britannica.com/science/sleep/REM-sleep

Quote:The other hallmark finding in REM sleep physiology is a reduced or nearly absent muscle tone (except for the diaphragm, one of the key muscles for maintaining breathing). Muscle activity in REM sleep may be nearly absent (tonic REM sleep) or may be characterized by brief bursts of activity (phasic REM sleep).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Both OA's and CA's Significantly Reduced, but AHI still far above 5. Tips? ooye 1 469 07-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New user, have reduced AHI but flow limit is high layneh 10 1,466 12-17-2022, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Leaks] reduced leaks thanks to OSCAR withtao 2 510 09-27-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: withtao
  Short tubing for ResMed Air 10 - reduced rainout? morpheus1958 3 927 05-28-2022, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Aircurve10 ASV- new machine causing reduced REM and aerophagia marineman2 19 2,100 12-10-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: marineman2
  Increase in PS or EPAP for reduced thinning flow rate graph Michaely6 14 2,234 04-18-2019, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Michaely6
  Leaking reduced but events up? Solar Rays 5 1,366 01-27-2018, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.