Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Closed Nostrils
Closed Nostrils
I remember before I went on xPAP (almost a week now), I would wake up quite often with one nostril completely closed and unable to breath through.

Is this common and can anyone elaborate for me?

I love this place. I feel like im going to medical school with all the insight im getting from you GREAT people out there!

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Closed Nostrils
Do you mean closed asin congested?
Or closed as in actually physically collapsed shut?
If you mean congested yeah that happens a lot. Usually upping the humidity will clear it.
And or using a nasal rinse every day or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2015, 08:45 PM)GTOdude Wrote: I remember before I went on xPAP (almost a week now), I would wake up quite often with one nostril completely closed and unable to breath through.
Nasal cycle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle
Explained in this youtube video https://youtu.be/BGACvb3Mm60

Edit: Full face mask might helps but I cannot make it work for me YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
GTOdude,
What I do is make sure I have enough humidity. I also use nasal rinses and a Saline nasal spray.
I like the Nasal Gels too, they have a cooling feeling and help you breath.

I don't use perscription or over the counter nasal sprays, just saline which is safe.

I find that when I am congested, there is no problem using my nasal pillow mask, the direct airflow to the nostrils really opens up the passages.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of people starting CPAP think the would never be able to use nasal pillows because of chronic congestion, deviated septum and other problems. Even I often find myself mouth breathing during the day. I recall before CPAP having one side get stopped up, so I'd turn to the other side, then the stuffed side would open, and the other would close up aggggh!

A nasal pillows mask eliminates any congestion, even with a cold for me. Once get comfortable with it, it's hard to do without. Just balance the humidity. If you don't need to mess around with that nasal cleansing and decongestant stuff, I sure wouldn't start on it.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I dont do decongestants.
The nasal rinse isnt habit forming. I have to do it because the bone seperating my left sinus cavity from the left nostril has been removed.
Instead of a sinus passage mine is a wide open cavity .
The rinse is to get any debris out of that sinus cavity that gets in during the day.
But once i had to do it anyway i have to say it does pretty much keep congestion away.
Only takes like two minutes to do once your used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2015, 09:51 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Do you mean closed asin congested?
Or closed as in actually physically collapsed shut?
If you mean congested yeah that happens a lot. Usually upping the humidity will clear it.
And or using a nasal rinse every day or so.
Ghost, no I mean one would be totally congested and I couldnt breathe thru one until I sat up and waited a bit. And that was before PAP. Hasnt happened since.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2015, 09:58 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 08:45 PM)GTOdude Wrote: I remember before I went on xPAP (almost a week now), I would wake up quite often with one nostril completely closed and unable to breath through.
Nasal cycle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle
Explained in this youtube video https://youtu.be/BGACvb3Mm60

Edit: Full face mask might helps but I cannot make it work for me YMMV

Wow, nice stuff. Thanks.

A room humidifier made life so much better for me pre-CPAP time. I had a nightmare every night with one nostril closing just before CPAP time. I only use the humidifier about an hour before bedtime and turn it off at bedtime as the CPAP humidifier takes over.

Cool video.
Post Reply Post Reply
If my sinuses are plugged when I put on my mask, breathing the humidified air clears them so I can breathe thru my nostrils in a matter of a few minutes.

Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Same for me, a little humidity with the air pressure will open it up if I'm patient.
Sometimes fall asleep with just one side open but it doesn't seem to stop the therapy. Patience the key word here .... for me.

On a side note, some have had better luck with a straight cpap pressure. Heard the theory that an ever changing pressure may disturb some user's rhythm, whatever the reason ... this seems to work for me. Get my best results running a steady pressure of 10.4
.... Something you may want to try when you get your range narrowed. YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 72 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows? OpineCone 64 24,014 12-21-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects? sleepyzzz 7 793 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  Dry mouth even with mouth closed with tape bcodemz 5 982 11-01-2022, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nostrils too big for nasal pillow mask? christian4870 2 763 06-30-2022, 02:35 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  [Mod Note] Prevention rather than Cure ? - Thread Closed Micheal.M 37 2,711 06-28-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Still tired and tips for keeping mouth closed Mike Parker 12 1,722 11-21-2021, 04:47 AM
Last Post: Mike Parker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.