Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"Closest DME"
RE: "Closest DME"
(11-02-2014, 07:58 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote: So this whole rent phase isn't just to try one and, if I don't like it for whatever reason, I can rent a different one for month two, etc?

Insurance typically rents a machine for X months before it becomes "yours." U.S. Medicare rents for 13 months. Quite a few PAP patients give up on therapy; and the insurers don't wish to be stuck paying for the equipment.

You have maximum negotiating power with a DME before taking possession of the equipment. You still have some negotiating power withing the rental period.

Was it you that posted your Rx on the forum? (Am I recalling correctly -- it's early here!) There was a code next to the machine selection (E0601.) The DME will try to give you the machine that fits that code and gives them maximum profit. They usually give out what's called a "dumb brick." Your Rx called for some minimum recording/reporting capability -- but not necessarily fully data capability.

If you've not picked up your equipment... you still have a chance to get the best machine. Go in armed with information; and don't get stuck with a brick.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
and if the DME is Apria, be very careful and watch them and their billing like a hawk and then some. Be prepared for a lot of mistakes and not getting call backs, etc. This is the normal complaints about Apria and I think I have only heard one person say they didn't have a bad experience with Apria. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best if you are using Apria.

Not to say that other DME's aren't problematic. Just be on your toes with Apria and any DME. They know how to get by with giving the patient/client the least capable machine to maximize their profits.

The best thing you can do for yourself, after you have researched and decided what machine you would like, is to ask your doctor to write a script for that machine and put dispense as written. Also, have the doc include the humidifier if you think you will need one (better to get it now rather than try to get it later; most insurances will pay for it outright with no rental period) and if you need the climate line tubing include that too (you will need that with a humidifier) and be sure to have all supplies needed on there. If you think you will need a chin strap, include that on the script. Hope this helps. Much success to you
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure what machine they are going to supply, see if they will supply the one you request or check the next DME. In my case the only time I had to deal with them again was to check compliance on my brick they sold me. I get my supplies online (for the used machine I replaced theirs with) out of spite. Hopefully you can start out on the right foot with a good relationship by being a informed consumer not just a blind faith uninformed one like I was. I'm not a big fan of getting charged $50 for a hose that you can get for $5 to $10 online. You can imagine the mask parts and filters, long term sales can make them a pretty penny.
The main thing is to get a good machine and get started and worry about the small things later.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2014, 12:01 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: Something seems obvious here to me. Does it to you?

Lamb

Yeah, something is probably obvious. But what, I don't know. And what significance, I don't know either.

Why leave it up to the sleep lab to choose your supplier? Do some calling around on your own and find one you are comfortable talking to and that will work in yor best intterests (yeah, I know, DMEs..... I think I made a funny....)

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
she posted her Rx in another thread post #1:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...et-answers

Some members know what machines fall under code E0601... help the lady out with what the Rx, as written, allows her to get.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
That code covers CPAPs. It does not cover bilevels or ASVs. So she could get a straight CPAP or an autoPAP with that code.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I AM SOOOO EXCITED!

Today I spoke with the DME I thought I was going to go to only to learn that the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her with HumidAir (I just like typing all of that out; I feel like I'm about to get a Lamborghini) is BACK-ORDERED for 4-6 WEEKS! She was most willing to order it for me, but didn't know if I'd want to wait that long or just go with the S9, which I could get in a couple of days.

My brother gets off work earlier than me, so I asked if he would call around town to see if any DME has it in stock. BINGO!

I'm heading to the one he found first thing in the morning. The woman with whom he spoke said they just need my test results, prescription, and insurance information and I'll have the machine I want in a day!!!!!

Full-night's-sleep, here I come! Sleep-on-pillow

Thank you all so very much for educating and encouraging (and continuing to encourage) me to stand my ground and get exactly the machine I want.

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2014, 06:10 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: I AM SOOOO EXCITED!

Today I spoke with the DME I thought I was going to go to only to learn that the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her with HumidAir (I just like typing all of that out; I feel like I'm about to get a Lamborghini) is BACK-ORDERED for 4-6 WEEKS! She was most willing to order it for me, but didn't know if I'd want to wait that long or just go with the S9, which I could get in a couple of days.

My brother gets off work earlier than me, so I asked if he would call around town to see if any DME has it in stock. BINGO!

I'm heading to the one he found first thing in the morning. The woman with whom he spoke said they just need my test results, prescription, and insurance information and I'll have the machine I want in a day!!!!!

Full-night's-sleep, here I come! Sleep-on-pillow

Thank you all so very much for educating and encouraging (and continuing to encourage) me to stand my ground and get exactly the machine I want.

Lamb
Hi Lambsydoats,
How exciting,! CONGRATULATIONS.!
Enjoy the new machine; best of luck to you as you start your CPAP journey and keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.