Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cloud backup solutions
Question 
Cloud backup solutions
Curios about what others here are using for cloud backup.

My current setup is to use Time Machine on my Mac's to backup to my NAS (QNAP).  I would also like to incorporate some type of offsite backup (cloud) as a redundancy.  The software I have available on the NAS can backup to the usual cloud storage places (Amazon, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.).
I also keep clones of my SD card(s) from my xPAP on the NAS, copies of my VM's, important docs, etc.

The NAS is 16TB but I would not need to store that much in the cloud.  Probably be cost prohibitive too.  Could likely get by with 4TB for now but would like the ability to expand if necessary.

So what works, or doesn't work for your home backup solution?
Using a 13" MacBook Air (2017), MacOS Catalina (10.15.6), OSCAR v1.1.1
In a VM: Win10 1909 (18363.836)

Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching images and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR Data Interpretation
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Cloud backup solutions
I use CrashPlan, now known as Code42. $10/month for unlimited (I think still unlimited) storage. I have 3.5 TB in the cloud. Restoring individual files or a directory is easy.

It will take you forever to upload 4TB to a cloud storage service. Code42 offers (or did, the last time I checked) an option to send you a drive that you fill up with your data and send back to them by mail.

I also have a 12 GB NAS -- a Synology DS415+. I backup from computer to NAS using Acronis and file copying with SyncBack Pro. Back up to CrashPlan is also from the computer rather than from the NAS as I prefer to back up from the primary source and not a copy.
The current version of OSCAR is 1.1.1.  We recommend upgrading from any earlier version.

Useful links
Download OSCAR
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep all my backup in-house, not on someone else's server that people call a cloud.  I have 2, 3tb network external drives.  the 2 drives are a mirror of each other. if one dies i have all the data on the other.  those 2 drives have a problem with speed because the journey to the laptops is wireless. so i bought a 5tb usb and put that info and much more including 300,000 mp3's all in one place. by using usb it's much faster to transfer things back and forth.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with keeping the backup in-house is that it protects well and conveniently against hardware and user error. It provides no protection against loss from fire and theft. That's your choice of course.
The current version of OSCAR is 1.1.1.  We recommend upgrading from any earlier version.

Useful links
Download OSCAR
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(07-18-2020, 07:54 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: The problem with keeping the backup in-house is that it protects well and conveniently against hardware and user error.  It provides no protection against loss from fire and theft.  That's your choice of course.

when i'm not here the big drive is in a big 6 ft safe that no one is going to walk off with.   If we burn to the ground, the computers will be least of my problems. you have no idea where your data is stored. i mean where exactly is the server and how  secure is it really.  different strokes for different folks. some people don't back up at all.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Encryption would take care of any privacy concerns I might have using cloud storage.
The biggest downside (for me) is my upload speeds are only ~11 Mbps (1.375 MB/s) on a good day. So transferring a few TB's of data would take some time.
Using a 13" MacBook Air (2017), MacOS Catalina (10.15.6), OSCAR v1.1.1
In a VM: Win10 1909 (18363.836)

Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching images and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR Data Interpretation
Post Reply Post Reply
Richard Eastman, in his excellent genealogy newsletter has included some very interesting articles on cloud storage and other backup options. You can check it out by going to: richard@eastman.net. The daily newsletter is free and there is a plus edition for a nominal price.
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
How To Attach Images And Files to your posts
Robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.
Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Another option that no one talks about is to make your own off site cloud backup.  All you need to do is put a computer w/enough hard drive space for your backups at a remote location. A friend or relatives house or a buddies business perhaps. 

Use [Commercial Link Removed] Search for: GoodSync

I won't get into details, but obviously your computer backs up to the remote computer. Use the encryption to keep eyes out of the remote backup, or in case it's stolen.

Even an old computer would work just fine. Just add hard drives or USB drives as/if you need more space.  Goodsync is inexpensive and you can get a Win10 key pretty cheap these days.  GoodSync runs w/Linux too.

$0 monthly fee !

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2020, 07:09 PM)theMezz Wrote: Another option that no one talks about is to make your own off site cloud backup.

This is essentially one of the methods Apnea Board uses for encrypted off-site backup.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
As a writer, I keep backups of my backups.
- Active (currently working on) files go to an FTP folder on my website.
- Everything else goes to DreamObjects (Dreamhost'scloud service). And, yes, I know where the servers are. In Virginia near Richmond.
- a plug-in regularly backups my websites and encrypts it
- I do both syncs and backups
- I have a USB key in the front of my PC that gets my writing and important documents synced every morning
- I use Cyberduck or ExpanDrive to access the cloud files
- Filezilla for FTP
- I use Syncback Pro for all the upload syncing and backing up.

I am a big fan of open source software. I usually donate more than I'd pay for a commercial software but that's the point.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Backup to NAS over LAN too slow justMongo 7 1,232 02-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Last Post: surferdude2
  Well, I'm on my backup machine again justMongo 2 732 09-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  how do you backup your ipod music? Alanw12 8 3,607 12-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.