Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cloud backup solutions
RE: Cloud backup solutions
I don't trust 'cloud' services. I am a fairly prolific photographer however, and so have many gigs of images taken over past decades - important to me, especially the family stuff.

I back up everything on to a pair of mirrored external drives. They're not terribly fast, but that only matters when I do a complete backup/copy of all my files. Mostly, it's just a ten minute job to add everything from my last shoot onto the drives.

I have had two of these external 'spinny disc' drives fail over the years and, when the current pair show signs of ageing, I plan to buy SSD drives.

On the subject of archiving, I once spent around a week scanning all our old photo prints so that I could store digital copies. At that stage, our oldest prints (1970s) were OK but fading, whereas similarly-aged slides were significantly degraded due to fungus.

I spent a further two weeks copying many, many hours of family movies from VHS tape to DVD.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
You need off-site storage. My brother and I are contemplating how to do this. I keep his backups, he keeps mine. But we're not sure how to do that just yet. I live in NC, he's in NJ. Mailing the drive seems dangerous. Could do a key but I've had them fail more often than drives.

And yeah, SSD are fast and safer than HDD. Wow are they.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2020, 12:45 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You need off-site storage. My brother and I are contemplating how to do this. I keep his backups, he keeps mine. But we're not sure how to do that just yet. I live in NC, he's in NJ. Mailing the drive seems dangerous. Could do a key but I've had them fail more often than drives.

And yeah, SSD are fast and safer than HDD. Wow are they.

You're right, of course.

Maybe I'll ask my son to have a backup drive at his place, 45mins away.

I wonder how hard it would be to transfer files from my pooter to his, via the interweb? That would make keeping the 'offsite' drive up to date much easier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2020, 05:00 PM)StevesSp Wrote: I wonder how hard it would be to transfer files from my pooter to his, via the interweb? That would make keeping the 'offsite' drive up to date much easier.

CrashPlan used to have exactly that feature.  However, they "upgraded" and removed that feature.  I don't know if any other backup tools offer that functionality.
The current version of OSCAR is 1.2.0.  We recommend upgrading from any earlier version.

Useful links
Download OSCAR
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Syncback *might* if his place was made to look like ftp. Or they are on the same network.

RemotePC is a software that lets you interact with and transfer files to/from another computer that is also running RemotePC. That's what I use to access files when away from home.

You could also just get two external drives. Keep one at his (A), one at yours (B). When B gets a major backup, exchange for A then do the same backup on it. Now the 2 are the same until the next time you do a big backup, then exchange again.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  need recommendations for backup software sheepless 1 111 09-27-2020, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Backup to NAS over LAN too slow justMongo 7 1,262 02-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Last Post: surferdude2
  Well, I'm on my backup machine again justMongo 2 755 09-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  how do you backup your ipod music? Alanw12 8 3,637 12-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.