Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clueless and Needing help
RE: Clueless and Needing help
We will try this setting for a few nights and report back ... collar is not scheduled to get here until next week Monday at this point but I’m hoping it shows up early.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without the collar, increased pressure will only make matters worse - as you have already seen (and as his doctor / therapist should have seen, if they were on the ball). I think Sleeprider is on the money here. I expect you'll see a dramatic improvement with the collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok ... just posting last nights results ... no collar yet but hopefully he has time to pick one up at Walgreens today … I ordered the Eliminator from Amazon, but is not scheduled to arrive until Monday ... just posting a "baseline" from last night

Min 9
Max 12
EPR always on at 3

Results: 
Usage - 7 hours
 Good mask seal 
39.4 AHI
Score 93/100

I realize these have little value until we get the collar and experiment but just wanting to post the daily results as they come in.

What is frustrating to me is that the first week he used the machine the results were at least decent (5-13 AHI) …. is it normal that after initial improvement that it would go backwards?

Also, I found it very interesting by looking more closely at AHI on a day by day ... almost without exception the first couple of hours are when the events are sky high … from my reading, I am guessing this is due to the sleeping medication he takes which at this point cannot be avoided but the hope is that after time he can get off of it (Ambien which he has been on for 4+ years).
Post Reply Post Reply
Likely, all CNS depressants make sleep apnea worse. Does he have insomnia?
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ambien is not recommended for long-term use, and it can have more marked effects on older people than on younger people. So it would certainly be a good idea for him to talk with his doctor about getting off it. More here, from a trusted web site:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-h...g-problems
Post Reply Post Reply
" is it normal that after initial improvement that it would go backwards?"

I didn't have any mask leaks until my 4th night. I was uncomfortable with the mask the first few nights and slept pretty much like a soldier at attention.
On the 4th night I curled up into the fetal position(my normal sleeping position) and that's when the mask leaks and other complications started.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I realize that this is only an hour and 40 minutes of use but I was so excited for him to try the collar out. He picked one up this morning and was very tired this afternoon so took a nap with it on and these were the results leaving the Settings where they were two nights ago.

1:40 on
Good mask seal
39 AHI

Hoping the results are different tonight ... but not quite as hopeful as I was that this would be the answer or maybe just some adjustments need to be made.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you say, let's see what a full night looks like. Ideally you'll be able to get the data and post a chart. Fingers crossed....
Post Reply Post Reply
Last nights data. 

8 hours
Good mask seal
30.5 AHI

It would not be Realistic for him to get the data on a daily basis ... it involves driving 30 miles to get the data transferred to a stick and then taking a stick to the library to have them send the data on to me. Does anybody have experience using a iPhone adapter to read the card and then send it on? If it is not too complicated,  I am thinking I could send him an adapter for his iPhone so that he can send the data directly to me  (he does very well but may be a lot to explain)   If there is anyone that has experience doing that and could send me some screenshots on a private message of what the steps would entail I think I would be able to explain it to him and walk him through it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't help with the iPhone question, but I hope someone can. To clarify for the experts: was he wearing the collar last night? And do the events continue to be mostly OAs?

I'm also curious whether he is willing to talk with his doctor about a plan to taper off on the Ambien.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 167 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 743 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 322 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Needing some advice.. SleepyWeasel 16 1,542 12-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] seemingly needing way less sleep lately Nintendogeek7065 2 316 10-21-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [Pressure] Needing help with pressure setting on APAP. quesadilladaddy 11 1,149 02-16-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.