Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clueless and Needing help
RE: Clueless and Needing help
I am in Sioux Falls South Dakota.  He is in Fort Lauderdale.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an open box Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto never used in Fort Lauderdale, FL for $800.
There is a 2-hours used Vauto at Supplier #33 for $1100.
There is a "gently used" Vauto at Supplier #2 for $799 with warranty.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2019, 01:15 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: There is an open box Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto never used in Fort Lauderdale, FL for $800.

OK perfect thanks for helping!!!  Can you say with some amount (no guarantees obviously) that this is what will help him?  I am AMAZED at the knowledge on this board and very intrigued with cpap in general after going through this process!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2019, 02:02 PM)bonjour Wrote: That is what we do, help you understand what and why and how to correct, all based on data.

(12-27-2019, 01:15 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: There is an open box Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto never used in Fort Lauderdale, FL for $800.
I have found a used for four months aircurve 10 on FB that I am comfortable purchasing.  Just waiting for confirmation that we think this may help him before buying. Once he would get it would need some advice on where to start with setting etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Vauto is the most comfortable and capable device you and use to treat obstructive apnea. It has a higher pressure range and much more pressure support than the CPAP. In this case, there are long periods of obstructive apnea and lots of flow limitation. The Vauto will make higher pressure more comfortable and will do more to treat the kinds of events that we are seeing. No PAP device can treat an obstructed airway that needs positional therapy (soft collar or surgery). This is straight obstructive apnea with no or negligible CA. The Vauto is the best choice.

Suggested settings:
Mode Vauto
EPAP min 8.0
PS 5
Max Pressure 20.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2019, 11:24 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Vauto is the most comfortable and capable device you and use to treat obstructive apnea. It has a higher pressure range and much more pressure support than the CPAP.  In this case, there are long periods of obstructive apnea and lots of flow limitation.  The Vauto will make higher pressure more comfortable and will do more to treat the kinds of events that we are seeing.  No PAP device can treat an obstructed airway that needs positional therapy (soft collar or surgery). This is straight obstructive apnea with no or negligible CA. The Vauto is the best choice.
Perfect ... will get it sent to him and then come here for help on the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to give a little update as to what we have learned while we wait for a new doctor that he will be seeing late next week now that he is settled in FL.

He opted to not buy a used machine but rather try a new doctor first and see if they actually help him figure things out any better.

If you ahve been following the thread, his initial days on the machine were very promising but shortly after start went backwards dramatically .... I had also menitoned that he had fallen ... what we have come to learn now that his shoulder has healed is that when he sleeps on his side AHI is MUCH improved ... not perfect at 12-14, but way better than the 35-44 we see consistanly when he sleeps on his back (every single time no matter the settings).  

I have not taken time to transfer data to Oscar to show these results and may not till after his appointment but it is pretty fascinating!!  

My question is this ... will he ever be able to sleep on his back with a machine that will help him or is there such a thing that some people with OA simply cannot sleep on their backs ?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing can be generalized about "people with OA". I have seen individuals with worse AHI on their side, others on their back. Some resolve with a soft cervical collar, and others have other sources of obstruction. The key is to understand the physical mechanism of obstruction. While some may relax the tongue enough to impinge on the soft palate, most will obstruct because the tissue at the front of the throat, under the jaw will cause obstruction when lightly compressed. Try it yourself. Push upward with the back of your hand in front of your throat. Obstruction by that mechanism may respond to a soft collar. If the tongue is the real culprit, then the INSPIRE procedure to stimulate the hypoglossal nerve may be effective.

The fact you know he obstructs on his back give you a clue on how to proceed. Find a way to keep him off his back. There are many inexpensive blocks, balls and wedges that can be used. Just make sure the therapy is less disruptive than the problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Well when I sleep on my side my AHI is .5 - 1 or so. On my back it’s 2 - 3 and up. AHI’s are usually higher when you’re on your back. For me at least.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 165 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 738 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 322 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Needing some advice.. SleepyWeasel 16 1,539 12-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] seemingly needing way less sleep lately Nintendogeek7065 2 315 10-21-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [Pressure] Needing help with pressure setting on APAP. quesadilladaddy 11 1,145 02-16-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.