Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clusters, collars and tennis balls.
Clusters, collars and tennis balls.
Out of the blue about two months ago, I started having clusters of positional apnea.

My first reaction was that this is going to be quite an easy one to fix…. problem is of course "chin tuck", and solution clearly a soft cervical collar…..

Well in my case no. I certainly tried several collars, examined other forum members' successful experiences in getting it right, but no go for me ... .tried several types of pillows, including buckwheat, but still no good. Frustration and exasperation.

Then…what if I have the other type of positional apnea, dorsal sleeping whereby the soft palate drops down with the force of gravity and blocks the airways?

Looked up solutions for this and came across using a T-shirt with 3 tennis balls stitched in a sock!

Bingo, got a result straight away! Not a 100% perfect, as the t-shirt had a tendency to move around, and the clusters would come back, but at least with far less frequency.

In the last 3 weeks I have ditched the t-shirt system, and have a simple chest support brace/belt,15cms wide with velcro fastener. The three tennis balls are neatly tucked in a sort of lining, so no stitching required.

For me it is a bit of a miracle. AHI was peaking sometimes 5 or 6, now it is around 0.5. Some of the nights have been zero. Amazing.

Hopefully my experience may perhaps help someone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clusters, collars and tennis balls.
That's interesting. No single solution works for everyone. Could you post an Oscar image showing your positional progression before mitigating, and what a night looks like now? Good to hear of your success.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just 3 attachemnts as per upload limit<;

21.4.22  AHI 17.6
One night before the tennis ball system showing mega clusters, and for the second shot, page one of the events tab, which I think is a vital source of information showing times, especially for obstructive apnea throttling oxygen to the rain, especiall individualal events over say 40 secs. An often neglected tab?

18.7.22 AHI  0.30
Last night's results.- It has been like this for nearly 2+ weeks.

I started off here with an AHI 30.5 a year ago on my sleep test. A long hard road.... got to keep monitoring daily with OSCAR for any slippages in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
can you please provide a 3 minute view inside one of those clusters. This will give us a breath by breath look at it.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

21.4.22   Attached what should be the hopefully a 3 minute vues as requested.

14.5.22   Added another day here with a less extreme result; general vue and the 3 minute view. (Just in case the day   above is a one off freak event.)

Interesting...
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I realized that CPAP machines cannot overcome back sleeping effects. I realized at some point that I should side sleep. That make much bigger difference than the machine. I mainly use the machine for the humidifier.

Most important things for sleep are watch what you eat (and when you eat) in terms of acid reflux, watch your weight, have good sleep hygiene, and sleep on the side. Don't believe that back sleeping you see on tv is normal.

I can't recommend buckwheat pillows. They are hard and retains elevated shape.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no input other than to say the original poster sure knows how to write an intriguing subject line!
Post Reply Post Reply
All that you say is true.

I have have actually found a use for the buckwheat pillow - as a wedge behind my back as an extra precaution. The instinct for me to roll over is so strong, that I need this as a safeguard. Otherwise the tennis balls are overcome, and the clusters are back. Unbelievable, but for me true.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 82 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA Heaviside 3 376 02-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 820 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,052 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What To Do When Soft Cervical Collars Fail mawaw1992 22 2,018 10-30-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: mawaw1992
  Will an ASV machine help eliminate my CSA/CSR clusters ? barney999 8 1,000 07-12-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: barney999

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.