Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions
Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions
I have been using a DreamStation BiPap ST30 since the first of the year.  My prescription is Mode ST,  IPAP 14.0, EPAP 7.0, BPM 12 and Ti 10. The ramp was set to 4cmH2O. I am a side sleeper.
Using suggestions from the forum I have slowly reduced my AHI from 10-15 to 2-3 over the past 8 months.  This was without the benefits of SleepyHead since I couldn’t get it to work until the latest beta.  The biggest improvement came with the soft cervical collar.  I tried to not use the ramp, but the pressures started higher and I still had the clusters of hypopneas at the beginning of each session.  I then set the ramp start to 7.0cmH2O but the clusters remained.  So my question is what can I do to reduce the clusters or should I just ignore them and be happy?  I’ve attached a few charts, hopefully of some value.

BTW my Dr is happy that I have an AHI under 5.  But I think that I feel more rested when my AHI is 2 or below.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions
Just when falling asleep breathing mechanism changes from wake to sleep and it's common to have central apneas or hypopneas. Some call this SWJ=sleep wake junk.

How about leaks? on all graphs it looks like an increasing leak woke you up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that I have that issue rolling around and jostling the mask. I have tried several pillows, and am still looking for the perfect one. I am currently using a memory foam one from Ikea. I tried a Cpap specific pillow and had no luck with it. Dreammapper shows 100% mask fit and no large leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
We do all sorts of odd things while sleeping and don't remember.
Could you setup a cheap securtiy camera? one night of video, you'll probably know the reason for the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you asleep during those events or just getting there and adjusting?

I agree with the sleep-wake-junk.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I'll look into the camera options. Knowing about SWJ helps a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2018, 03:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Are you asleep during those events or just getting there and adjusting?

I agree with the sleep-wake-junk.

I think that it is a little of both, because I am normally asleep in the 5-10 minute range.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume Ti is inspiration time max, and 10 seems excessive. At 12 BPM each I/E cycle is a total of 5-seconds, so it would make no sense to attempt to hold Ti for more than 3 seconds. It would help if you minimize the monthly calendar by clicking the triangle in the date line.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Here is the revised attachment.  I am using the 1.1.0 beta and the screen grab doesn't work.  The other three attachments on the original post have the calendar minimized.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=8190 Wrote:Sleeprider pid='271314' dateline='1536536241'][attachment=8190][attachment=8190]I assume Ti is inspiration time max, and 10 seems excessive.  At 12 BPM each I/E cycle is a total of 5-seconds, so it would make no sense to attempt to hold Ti for more than 3 seconds.  It would help if you minimize the monthly calendar by clicking the triangle in the date line.

Sorry, redid the one I missed minimizing the calendar.

Also, i just checked and the Ti was 1.0 not 10  Sorry about the mistake.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Help with Hypopneas! strugglingzombie 0 126 04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: strugglingzombie
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 337 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 122 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 311 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 203 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA Heaviside 3 407 02-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 865 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.