Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clusters of mixed events - what is causing them?
RE: Clusters of mixed events - what is causing them?
(05-13-2017, 08:04 PM)TexasTiger Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but getting the CAs down is probably the most important item to get corrected?

Often obstructive apneas are the most important to minimize. Which type of apneas are lasting longer, resulting in worse oxygen desaturations?

As soon as we feel the urge to breathe a Central Apnea ends.  I think Obstructive Apneas tend to last longer and require arousals to start breathing again, which interfere worse with sleep.

My own suggestion would be to raise the Min Pressure without raising the Max Pressure.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clusters of mixed events - what is causing them?
Thanks for the input.  Yes, both are certainly not good, but with the CA you may not get an "urge to breathe" cause it is already missing the response from the brain to take a breath.  My total time in apnea for OA or CA was about the same and when the min. pressure was raised the CA component doubled and added a number of CSR events as well.  Most input so far from other posts and what I read indicates that the CA events are harder to reduce than the OA events and the CA requires different equipment to control if it cannot be minimized with APAP or CPAP.  Sure looks like there is not an easy solution to mixed apneas with any CA components.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 14 413 1 hour ago
Last Post: BigWing
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 43 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,407 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 86 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.