Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Swift Nano for Her
Humidifier: Built into the Airsense10
CPAP Pressure: 15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Question Coated tongue?
Anyone develop a coating on their tongue and a "dry look" to your tongue along with sore throat? Is this due to mouth leaks? It seems worse with my nasal mask than ffm.
04-15-2016 02:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Possum Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset A10
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

Sex: Male

RE: Coated tongue?
I think your intuition is serving you well on this one - most likely due to mouth leak. Once that seal is broken, imagine gale force winds going through your mouth all night, or even for a little while - not very pleasant situation for your mouth, as it needs to remain lubricated to keep gum disease and tooth decay at bay. Check out your data in Sleepyhead. You should be able to see them in the Leak graph.

The solution to mouth leak, assuming you want to continue using a non-FFM, is either a chin strap, or the more natural solution of learning to create a seal in your mouth with the "tongue suck" technique (described in all of Daria Vader's posts, in her signature). I've never had much luck with it, but I'm fortunate enough to wake up when I have mouth leak, and I just roll over on my stomach and bury my chin in the pillow to keep my mouth shut. That's one of the many reasons I adore the P10 mask, as it allows you that freedom. Smile
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2016 02:19 PM by Possum.)
04-15-2016 02:11 PM
PoolQ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6.2, 15, PS4.0

Other Comments:

Pretty sure that a dry mouth means dry teeth and gums also, and pretty sure that can lead to decay
04-15-2016 02:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
allynpsych Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense10 CPAP
Mask Make & Model: Swift Nano for Her
Humidifier: Built into the Airsense10
CPAP Pressure: 15

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(04-15-2016 02:11 PM)Possum Wrote:  I think your intuition is serving you well on this one - most likely due to mouth leak. Once that seal is broken, imagine gale force winds going through your mouth all night, or even for a little while - not very pleasant situation for your mouth. Check out your data in Sleepyhead. You should be able to see them in the Leak graph.

The solution to mouth leak, assuming you want to continue using a non-FFM, is either a chin strap, or the more natural solution of learning to create a seal in your mouth with the "tongue suck" technique (described in all of Daria Vader's posts, in her signature). I've never had much luck with it, but I'm fortunate enough to wake up when I have mouth leak, and I just roll over on my stomach and bury my chin in the pillow to keep my mouth shut. That's one of the many reasons I adore the P10 mask, as it allows you that freedom. Smile

Yes, I'm like you, I keep waking up when my tongue falls as my mouth is slowly filling with air just before it explodes out of my lips with a little "burp" (or so my husband describes it). My jaw remains closed though so I'm not sure a chin strap would help. I'll have to keep working on the tongue suck... as I otherwise love the wisp nano since it lets me sleep on my side! Sleep-on-pillowI-love-Apnea-Board
04-15-2016 02:19 PM
holden4th Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto with Bluetooth
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: Remstar Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 11- 15 APAP

Other Comments:

A coated tongue is usually seen by the medical profession as some sort of health issue. Plus the sore throat would tend to back this up. Unless you're a smoker, I'd get this checked.
04-16-2016 04:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sticking tongue out sleepytimegal 3 123 Yesterday 04:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Tongue Biting from Seizures -- Mouthguards? afraid2sleep 11 8,686 11-06-2015 09:48 AM
Last Post: Terry
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP and Coblation for base of Tongue sleep_apnea 28 2,682 08-29-2015 03:45 PM
Last Post: DocWils
  Is the problem here the nostrils or the tongue? metallikat36 7 1,457 12-19-2014 12:38 AM
Last Post: archangle
  Pacemaker for the Tongue to Replace CPAP? gjw 7 2,218 05-31-2014 08:20 PM
Last Post: Airstream
  Coblation tongue surgery Gabby 11 4,450 03-15-2014 06:38 PM
Last Post: Don in Austin
  Implantable tongue-buzzer improves obstructive sleep apnea by 70% (NEJM) ScubaSleeper 2 1,451 01-27-2014 09:59 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred