Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Coconut Oil for Nasal Dryness?
Coconut Oil for Nasal Dryness?
I was conducting a random internet search yesterday for coconut oil and cpap and I came across a blog with a comment stating that this person swabs a coconut oil covered q tip in their nose prior to sleeping with their cpap to alleviate nasal dryness. What do you all think of that?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Coconut Oil for Nasal Dryness?
(07-15-2015, 07:22 PM)rx77310 Wrote: I was conducting a random internet search yesterday for coconut oil and cpap and I came across a blog with a comment stating that this person swabs a coconut oil covered q tip in their nose prior to sleeping with their cpap to alleviate nasal dryness. What do you all think of that?

Great to try! Coconut oil a medium chain triglyceride, making it one of the most beneficial oils on earth, rivaling breast milk fat (imo). But keep one thing in mind. Using it on the skin has the propensity to block pores in some people, causing acne and whatnot. But if you decide to try it, please let us know how it goes! Smile
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
Some folks use Lansinoh nipple cream for dry noses
Saline sinus rinse and the heated hose are my best friends
YMMV

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 09:03 PM)Ailu Wrote:
(07-15-2015, 07:22 PM)rx77310 Wrote: I was conducting a random internet search yesterday for coconut oil and cpap and I came across a blog with a comment stating that this person swabs a coconut oil covered q tip in their nose prior to sleeping with their cpap to alleviate nasal dryness. What do you all think of that?

Great to try! Coconut oil a medium chain triglyceride, making it one of the most beneficial oils on earth, rivaling breast milk fat (imo). But keep one thing in mind. Using it on the skin has the propensity to block pores in some people, causing acne and whatnot. But if you decide to try it, please let us know how it goes! Smile

Like you I'm a believer in coconut oil [and I'm back using butter in the kitchen]. When I was getting red from my mask I cut a liner and impregnated that with coconut oil and it stayed in place pretty well. I still smear the mask with some of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rx77310,
Coconut oil is a good oil, you could try is, just dab a little bit into your nostriles.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What about that oil in the nose causes a type of pneumonia?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use it for mouth dryness.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 01:39 PM)player Wrote: What about that oil in the nose causes a type of pneumonia?

I never heard about this except when vicks is used in the nose. my doctor told me to use coconut or olive oil and there is always ayr nasal gel but I like the coconut oil.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been trying coconut oil for a couple months now. Use it at night around eye area and in nasal passages. You just need a small dab.
Also use for cooking instead of other oils.
I love the smell of coconut!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 01:39 PM)player Wrote: What about that oil in the nose causes a type of pneumonia?

Hi player,
Haven't heard of this. Is there an article or a study done to read about.
Would like to know more, as that could be serious.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,393 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,482 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  Hoarseness and throat pain/dryness with CPAP kettle101 6 919 09-15-2022, 08:08 PM
Last Post: kettle101
  [Pressure] Nasal IrritTion? NannyRobina 2 613 06-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.