Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Coffee and Sleep
Coffee and Sleep
I have always been a light sleeper. Intermittently, I have also had early morning awakenings. I am not the CPAPer in my family, just the spouse. My husband is now sleeping quietly, no more snoring, after starting CPAP back in late November. I slept better right off the bat after his CPAP but still slept lightly and sometimes woke up early and could no longer blame it on my husband's snoring.

I have tried numerous times in the past to give up coffee, or cut down on coffee, without success. However, in the last month, I have successfully cut myself down to one cup per day, first thing in the morning. For the rest of the work day I drink various non-caffeinated teas, and I drink water at home at night.

I feel a lot better in general and I am sleeping more soundly. The only times I have woken up lately is when there is a big CPAP leak blowing in my ear or face. A gentle turning over or gentle nudge (much more gentle that the former "stop snoring or else" nudge) does the trick and he turns over or adjusts himself so the leak stops most of the time (and doesn't remember the nudge like he used to).

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Coffee and Sleep
Yup, caffeine is nasty stuff. I got off it completely and now will treat myself to the occasional diet coke at lunch time. If I have a cup of coffee in the morning that'll ruin that night's sleep for me.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that caffeine can be the Spawn of Satan. I used to drink many,MANY, MANY cups of coffee. Now, I only have two cups of coffee per day and no caffeine after noon.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I drink a coffee substitute that is pretty good - tastes like Lavazza but is completely caffeine free. But caffeine lurks in many forms, like black chocolate, so one must be cautious of intake even there, which, living in Switzerland, is like living in Tuktoyaktuk+ and avoiding eating whale blubber. For years, as is often the habit over here, I had a espresso after dinner, but gave it up, along with most all stimulants, and of course, it is better. The hardest to avoid and wean off of is sugar, of course, since it is just about everywhere, but I do my best.

I should think it must so much easier to quit American coffee than what we get over here, of course, since what they serve on your side of the Pond is essentially brown water*, but even that contains a deceivingly high level of caffeine. Best to stay off of it. Have nice cuppa camomile tea instead, deary.

+ Oi! Tuk U, mate!

*of course, we won't mention American Beer, or the old question as to why is drinking American Beer like making love in a canoe, shall we?
Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: 220px-Linea_doubleespresso.jpg][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSksgHTfe5mMxwVITOtS7g...jvQppmVubF]
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2013, 04:05 PM)cbramsey Wrote: I agree that caffeine can be the Spawn of Satan. I used to drink many,MANY, MANY cups of coffee. Now, I only have two cups of coffee per day and no caffeine after noon.

There is no satan, it's only an old ex-wive's tale.
But I do get visited by Mormons now and then.
A favourite visit, they were telling me how they don't drink tea or coffee. So I asked if they like hot chocolate Grin

They love the stuff. LOL it went right over their heads that I was trying to trap them into admitting they like a caffeine saturated drink.
Me? I'm a Coke® addict. Drinking one right now in fact. <burrrp!>
Post Reply Post Reply
My Mr. Coffee machine speaks to me. It says, "Resistance is Futile. You will be assimilated".

I was doomed before I even had a chance.

lots-o-coffeelots-o-coffeelots-o-coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2013, 09:51 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: My Mr. Coffee machine speaks to me. It says, "Resistance is Futile. You will be assimilated".

Mr. Coffee of Borg.
I think that lends itself to a different thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2013, 07:24 PM)Ugly Wrote: Me? I'm a Coke® addict. Drinking one right now in fact. <burrrp!>

Hi Sean,

By the way, fructose (sugared coke and many other sodas are full of the stuff) will cause cirrhosis of the liver if over-done.

I watched a medical documentary on High Fructose Corn Surup, on which a research doctor said "Fructose is like alcohol wihout the buzz." VERY hard on the liver.

I think 100% pure grape juce is also extremely high in fructose.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vaughn, that is a jaein (yes and no) it can be hard on the liver, but it depends on how it is taken in, in what concentrates, and other factors. There isn't a clear way to say it - unaltered fruit juice has so many good things about it that any minor liver damage is well dealt with. It is sweet treats and the like that are the real problems. Eating raw fruit or drinking fresh fruit juices is never a danger (unless you have an intolerance to the acid concentrations)...

Don't eat fruit roll ups and most candies and you're fine....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,012 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 684 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,202 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.