Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Coffee drinkers may live longer, study suggests
And now from the "Totally Caffeinated Department": Coffee

Coffee lovers are a loyal crowd. Most pour out their morning cup of java for the flavor, the aroma, and the accompanying jolt of energy, rather than the health perks.

So they may not mind if doctors debate new research suggesting that coffee lovers live longer.

According to an article in today's New England Journal of Medicine, those who drank coffee at the beginning of a 13-year study had a slightly lower risk of death than others, whether they chose decaf or full-strength.

Coffee drinkers also were a little less likely to die from specific causes: heart disease, respiratory problems, strokes, injuries and accidents, diabetes and infections. Coffee offered no protection against cancer.

Drinking two to three cups of coffee a day lowered the overall risk of death 10%, says the study, funded by the National Cancer Institute and AARP.

"It's interesting that coffee is more healthful than harmful," says Frank Hu, a professor at the Harvard School of Public Health, who has studied the health effects of coffee, but wasn't involved in the new study.

Not so fast, says cardiologist Steve Nissen, of the Cleveland Clinic, who also wasn't involved in the new research. Asking people about their coffee consumption only once in 13 years can be misleading, since drinking habits change. Nissen notes the study didn't include vital medical information that affects longevity, such as cholesterol or blood pressure levels.

"This study is not scientifically sound," Nissen says. "The public should ignore these findings."

Neal Freedman, the study's lead author, acknowledges that the design of his study prevents it from definitively proving that coffee affects longevity.

"We wouldn't recommend that anyone go out and drink coffee based on these results," Freedman says. But he says his study could provide some "reassurance" that coffee didn't seem to cut patients' lives short.

Scientists still have unanswered questions about coffee, which contains more than 1,000 compounds that can affect the risk of death, Freedman says.

Fair Use Laws apply from:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/stor...55024636/1
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Coffee drinkers may live longer, study suggests
Quote:"This study is not scientifically sound," Nissen says. "The public should ignore these findings."

Obviously a mentally impaired man. How could he say such a thing? Huh

Bigwink
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some day they will discover that Reese's Cups and Mountain Dew are the cure all for all ills.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If caffeine is a drug than its a drug of choice beside coffee has been around for centuries.
What else to say beside lets meet over coffee to friends or to someone just met.
Is there anything else? No not much really Coffee
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...presso.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2012, 07:16 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: According to an article in today's New England Journal of Medicine, those who drank coffee at the beginning of a 13-year study had a slightly lower risk of death than others, whether they chose decaf or full-strength.

This is good news. I've been drinking coffee every day of my adult life. Last summer, in an attempt to get a better night's sleep, I gave up caffeine and switched to de-caf coffee. It did help me get to sleep, but since unknown to me at the time I had untreated OSA, I still coudn't get a good night's sleep.

When I was later diagnosed with OSA and began CPAP therapy in November, I was tempted to start it up again. But, since I'd successfully gone through the caffeine withdrawals, I decided to keep off the stuff.

Soon I'll be one-year caffeine free. I do miss that morning kick, but it's just not worth the cost it has on my ability to sleep at night. I still have trouble falling asleep most nights, and I still wake up several times during the night although I don't usually have any trouble falling back asleep. I keep improving, and I don't want to risk a caffeine-induced set back.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
It's strange that caffeine has different effects upon different people.

For instance, while it does indeed give me that "extra kick"... I can still drink a cup or two of regular coffee at 8 or 9 pm at night and still have no trouble falling asleep. I generally fall asleep within 10 minutes after hitting the sack, no matter how much coffee I've had throughout the day or evening. Dont-know

Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Personally, I believe that Heath Bars and Mtn. Dew are the cure all for all of man's ills. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express in 1989 so I must be right. Coffee
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2012, 10:37 PM)Cutter Wrote: Personally, I believe that Heath Bars and Mtn. Dew are the cure all for all of man's ills. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express in 1989 so I must be right. Coffee

From Wikipedia, article on Holiday Inn Express:

Quote:"The first Holiday Inn Express locations opened in 1990, with three hotels opening in that year"

So, clearly, you were staying in a regular Holiday Inn in 1989, not a Holiday Inn Express. This leads me to believe that it was the caffeine in the Mountain Dew that made you so smart, rather than staying in a non-existent Holiday Inn Express. Bigwink

This gives us further scientific evidence of how the world is much better with caffeinated beverages than without.

lots-o-coffee

Grin
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Caffeine from soda does nothing. But drinking a coke (along with tylenol and ibuprofen) is one of my first steps to curtailing a migraine.

Coffee makes my heart race really bad. It is not fun at all.

Ice tea will keep me up all night. Not hyper, just awake. At home I drink decaf ice tea. When we go out, I have to keep an eye on how many refills I get.

I got a friend that if he takes Benedryl, he is bouncing off the walls. His coffee intake is amazingly huge though. So is his bourbon intake but I don't think the two are related. Bigwink
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2012, 10:51 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 10:37 PM)Cutter Wrote: Personally, I believe that Heath Bars and Mtn. Dew are the cure all for all of man's ills. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express in 1989 so I must be right. Coffee

From Wikipedia, article on Holiday Inn Express:

Quote:"The first Holiday Inn Express locations opened in 1990, with three hotels opening in that year"

So, clearly, you were staying in a regular Holiday Inn in 1989, not a Holiday Inn Express. This leads me to believe that it was the caffeine in the Mountain Dew that made you so smart, rather than staying in a non-existent Holiday Inn Express. Bigwink

This gives us further scientific evidence of how the world is much better with caffeinated beverages than without.

lots-o-coffee

Grin

Maybe he was in the beta test? Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 0 42 8 hours ago
Last Post: nikkib9899
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 49 Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  One machine says I'm treated, another suggests I'm not shawsg 5 155 03-10-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,596 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 57 5,612 03-07-2024, 05:22 PM
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 221 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.