Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

Coffee tied to lower prostate cancer risk
[parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]

"Few studies have specifically studied the association of coffee intake and the risk of lethal prostate cancer, the form of the disease that is the most critical to prevent. Our study is the largest to date to examine whether coffee could lower the risk of lethal prostate cancer," said senior author Lorelei Mucci, associate professor of epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.

Men who regularly drink coffee appear to have a lower risk of developing a lethal form of prostate cancer, according to a new study led by Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) researchers. The lower risk was evident among men who drank regular or decaffeinated coffee.

The study was published May 17 in an online edition of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

"Few studies have specifically studied the association of coffee intake and the risk of lethal prostate cancer, the form of the disease that is the most critical to prevent. Our study is the largest to date to examine whether coffee could lower the risk of lethal prostate cancer," said senior author Lorelei Mucci, associate professor of epidemiology at HSPH.

Lethal prostate cancer is cancer that causes death or spreads to the bones. Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed form of cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death among U.S. men, affecting one in six men during their lifetime. More than 2 million men in the United States and 16 million men worldwide are prostate cancer survivors.

"At present we lack an understanding of risk factors that can be changed or controlled to lower the risk of lethal prostate cancer..If our findings are validated, coffee could represent one modifiable factor that may lower the risk of developing the most harmful form of prostate cancer ," said lead author Kathryn Wilson, a research fellow in epidemiology at HSPH.

The researchers chose to study coffee because it contains many beneficial compounds that act as antioxidants, reduce inflammation, and regulate insulin, all of which may influence prostate cancer. Coffee has been associated in prior studies with a lower risk of Parkinson,s disease , type 2 diabetes, gallstone disease, and liver cancer.

The study examined the association between coffee consumption and the risk of prostate cancer, particularly the risk for aggressive prostate cancer, among 47,911 U.S. men in the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study who reported their coffee consumption every four years from 1986 to 2008. During the study period, 5,035 cases of prostate cancer were reported, including 642 fatal or metastatic cases.

Among the findings:
Men who consumed the most coffee (six or more cups daily) had nearly a 20 percent lower risk of developing any form of prostate cancer.
The inverse association with coffee was even stronger for aggressive prostate cancer. Men who drank the most coffee had a 60 percent lower risk of developing lethal prostate cancer.
The reduction in risk was seen whether the men drank decaffeinated or regular coffee, and does not appear to be due to caffeine.
Drinking one to three cups of coffee per day was associated with a 30 percent lower risk of lethal prostate cancer.

Coffee drinkers were more likely to smoke and less likely to exercise, behaviors that may increase advanced prostate cancer risk. These and other lifestyle factors were controlled for in the study.

The results need to be validated in additional populations that have a range of coffee exposure and a large number of lethal prostate cancer cases. If confirmed, the data would add to the list of other potential health benefits of coffee. The authors are planning additional studies to understand specific mechanisms by which coffee may lower the risk of lethal prostate cancer.

The study was supported by the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health, the American Institute for Cancer Research, and the Prostate Cancer Foundation.
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/20...ncer-risk/

SuperSleeper wrote:
Good news indeed! Coffee

Yaatri wrote:
Dec 2006, I was told by my doctor after the finger exam that I needed to see a urologist and have my prostate checked out. I was really busy at work, and forgot about it. After I lost my job, I didn;t see a doctor for a year and half or two. In March Sept 2009 my doctor went through my records and asked me "did you see the urologist?" I was scared to death. It had been nearly 3 years since he thought there might be something. Anyway, I made an appointment with a urologist, had a biopsy done. There was no evidence of cancer and my PSA was normal too.

Could be the caffeine?
02-27-2012 12:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

RE: Coffee tied to lower prostate cancer risk
Now this is MY kind of study.... yowser! Coffee

Drink up, everyone! Coffee CoffeeCoffee

Bug-eyed

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

02-27-2012 09:00 PM
TheDreamer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Intellipap Auto
Mask Make & Model: RespCare Bravo II
Humidifier: F&P HC150
CPAP Pressure: 7.5-15
CPAP Software: EncoreViewer Other Software

Other Comments: RLS, Essential Tremor, Narcolepsy/Cataplexy

And, I've had to give up coffee and other things as part of my condition management....well, I could drink decaf...but I'd rather not.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
03-05-2012 09:20 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Did you know coffee has been around since 11th century
..................Coffee........and........Coffee.................
......The most widely consumed beverage in the world......
.........CoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffeeCoffee.......
03-11-2012 12:33 AM
Cutter Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Swift LT
Humidifier: Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I would have been an outlier in that study. I drink between 4 to 6 cups of coffee each day. I had prostrate cancer and had my prostrate removed before my 58th birthday. Keep drinking coffee because you like it. If you are 40 or older, see a urologist for the digital exam and get a PSA blood test.

This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

03-11-2012 12:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
TheDreamer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Intellipap Auto
Mask Make & Model: RespCare Bravo II
Humidifier: F&P HC150
CPAP Pressure: 7.5-15
CPAP Software: EncoreViewer Other Software

Other Comments: RLS, Essential Tremor, Narcolepsy/Cataplexy

I used to drink lots of coffee... hopefully that'll keep me safe now that I've stopped.

But, I've been getting PSA tests regularly and I've had the urologist give me the exam, etc. Dad had prostate cancer just after 65. Though he wasn't much of a coffee drinker (usually like maybe a cup on Sunday)....sometimes there isn't any around when I visit them.

My mom and my brother won't touch it.

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
03-11-2012 05:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 222 09-30-2016 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 2,461 06-19-2016 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,284 01-22-2016 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 931 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  Where is the best coffee in the world? zonk 62 3,882 10-05-2015 02:15 PM
Last Post: zonk
  New Coffee We Tried me50 46 4,150 08-30-2015 07:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Coffee / Caffeine aussiefilo 13 1,587 07-21-2015 02:22 PM
Last Post: PositiveMe123