Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cold and cpap
RE: Cold and cpap
(12-25-2017, 12:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In 10 years of using nasal pillows, I am yet to experience congestion that does not clear with CPAP pressure.  Put on the mask and start the machine, then relax and feel your sinuses open and passages clear. Once you are breathing comfortable, go to sleep.  The big thing is not to panic as your nasal passages clear and you can finally breath through your nose again.  I look forward to getting on the PAP when I have a cold because I breathe better than at any other time of day.
This.

I occasionally get irritation in my nostrils and need to go to a nasal mask.
The problem is, the pressure of the mask on the upper part of my nose tends to aggravate congestion... or at least it makes it FEEL like I am more congested, making it consciously difficult to breathe and making it hard to get to sleep.
Nasal pillows really help to clear that.

Also, a Neti Pot is your best friend, whether congested or not.  It makes a big difference.  Personally, I prefer the "tip over" pot rather than the squirt bottle, as it seems to rinse my upper sinuses better, while the bottle just clears my nose.

I do have a full face mask that my intention was to use when "too congested" for the pillows, but I've actually used it infrequently for other reasons.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 820 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,236 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 884 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 949 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.