Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cold hands and feet.
Cold hands and feet.
I have always hand warm hands and feet (according to my wife). However, since getting Apnea under control 6 months ago my hands and feet are now like ice. Has anyone else experienced this with Apap? This is really counter intuitive as i would have thought that the treatment would have improved circulation and therefore, if anything, made me warmer. I suppose on the flip side of this is the fact that my resting heart beat has fallen from around 80 to 62.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cold hands and feet.
I don't believe CPAP could have caused this nor the drop in your awake resting heart rate. I would recommend you see your doctor as soon as possible for a full assessment to see what is going on. Definitely a drop in circulation could be at fault or really low blood pressure. But no matter what, you need to be assessed by a doctor as soon as you can.
Post Reply Post Reply
johnboy,
You didn't mention any medications that you are taking. Are you taking any Beta-Blockers?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No but i am taking anxiety melds
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2017, 02:41 PM)Johnboy Wrote: I have always hand warm hands and feet (according to my wife). However, since getting Apnea under control 6 months ago my hands and feet are now like ice. Has anyone else experienced this with Apap? This is really counter intuitive as i would have thought that the treatment would have improved circulation and therefore, if anything, made me warmer. I suppose on the flip side of this is the fact that my resting heart beat has fallen from around 80 to 62.

APAP is unlikely to cause this.  You don't mention if your feet are really measurably cold or whether they just feel cold.  I mention this because in my case my feet felt cold to the point of being painful and making it impossible to sleep but feeling them with my hands they felt just as warm as the rest of me.

In my case, having long standing diabetes, the doctor thought this was probably related to nerve damage and prescribed gabapentin.  That cured my cold feet and also my long standing nocturia as well.  At least it has worked for a few months, I can't say it is a permanent cure at this point.

You are probably different and what helped me might not help you, but I thought I'd mention it.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
No they are cold as my wife also notices it. They do warm up and i am not really concerned but thought someone else might have experienced this.
Post Reply Post Reply
How close to the time you started your anti-anxiety medicine did you notice your bradycardia slower heart rate?
(Note: Edited out "bradycardia" due to its definition being < 60 BPM)

As a side note:
Beta blockers—including drugs such as propranolol (Inderal) and atenolol (Tenormin)—are a type of medication used to treat high blood pressure and heart problems. However, they are also prescribed off-label for anxiety.

What is your medicine name?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
well, I certainly would not consider a resting heart rate of 62 as bradycardia.  CPAP pressures can reduce the total ejection fraction so might be complicit in allowing/leading to less circulation and therefore lower overall warming.  I wonder if you noticed any edema in the limbs, sometimes called pitting edema.  Early in your CPAP treatment, this edema may be caused by the body realizing it can enter a state of recovery the fluid retention can be associated with repair of cells.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2017, 02:41 PM)Johnboy Wrote: I have always hand warm hands and feet (according to my wife). However, since getting Apnea under control 6 months ago my hands and feet are now like ice. Has anyone else experienced this with Apap? This is really counter intuitive as i would have thought that the treatment would have improved circulation and therefore, if anything, made me warmer. I suppose on the flip side of this is the fact that my resting heart beat has fallen from around 80 to 62.

That may have happened since you got your Apnea under control, but it's a coincidence. It's very likely due to poor blood circulation. The question is, why has your circulation deteriorate (if it was not poor before). It could be due to furring of your arteries. It's time to consult your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest you read this article at Wikipedia on Raynaud Syndrome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 548 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 610 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Suggestions for keeping hands off face while sleeping katez 2 468 09-16-2022, 05:10 PM
Last Post: katez
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 890 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 834 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,276 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 902 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.