Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cold hands and feet.
RE: Cold hands and feet.
(06-19-2017, 11:32 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: well, I certainly would not consider a resting heart rate of 62 as bradycardia.  CPAP pressures can reduce the total ejection fraction so might be complicit in allowing/leading to less circulation and therefore lower overall warming.  I wonder if you noticed any edema in the limbs, sometimes called pitting edema.  Early in your CPAP treatment, this edema may be caused by the body realizing it can enter a state of recovery the fluid retention can be associated with repair of cells.

QAL I think you may be in error when you say CPAP reduces left ventricular ejection fraction. A very quick (5 minutes) literature search shows that the opposite is the case. CPAP improves the LVEF for most patients.

There is of course concern for patients with heart failure and pre-existing low LVEF who may have adverse reactions to ASV therapy, but that is not a general result for CPAP.

Sun H, Shi J, Li, M, Chen X: Impact of continuous positive airway pressure treatment on left ventricular ejection fraction in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS One. 2013 May 1;8(5):e62298. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0062298 CONCLUSIONS:
Our meta-analysis supports the notion that CPAP may improve the LVEF among patients with OSA.

Krieger J1, Grucker D, Sforza E, Chambron J, Kurtz D. Left ventricular ejection fraction in obstructive sleep apnea. Effects of long-term treatment with nasal continuous positive airway pressure. Chest. 1991 Oct;100(4):917-21. These results show that long-term nasal CPAP treatment results in improved left ventricular function in OSA.

Yasuyuki K et al Cardiovascular Effects of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure in Patients with Heart Failure and Obstructive Sleep Apnea N Engl J Med 2003; 348:1233-1241 In medically treated patients with heart failure, treatment of coexisting obstructive sleep apnea by continuous positive airway pressure reduces systolic blood pressure and improves left ventricular systolic function.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will have to re-read some things to see how I got the impression I did. Thanks for the feedback.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also recommend checking with your doctor. I have bradycardia and the hands and feet cold problems were related to diabetes in my case. The bradycardia didn't change, but I was taken off metformin and switched to insulin and over several months, hands and feet warmed up again and are back to what they were 3 years ago. I had good blood sugar control during this entire period except for the 2 months of taking prednisone, which necessitated switching to insulin.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 549 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 612 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Suggestions for keeping hands off face while sleeping katez 2 469 09-16-2022, 05:10 PM
Last Post: katez
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 893 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 835 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,283 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 909 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.