Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Colds and Nasal Pillows
Colds and Nasal Pillows
So when you have a cold and your nose is all stuffy...

How do you sleep with a mask of any ilk??

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Outstanding DME!
I have never had a problem using my nasal pillows while congested. The first minute or so is the hardest but then it is like the air pushes everything to the side and I go right to sleep. I use the nasal rinse prior to sleep and right after. Sometimes I wake up and one nostril will be blocked, always the one that is "down" (on the side of the mattress). The humidifier really helps with a cold or other respiratory illness, too!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Outstanding DME!
(12-04-2014, 01:19 AM)Galactus Wrote: I actually find my nasal pillow mask helps me breathe better when I have a cold. I had originally thought it would be a major issue, but it actually isn't (for me).

+1 In fact it's the only thing I like about the P10. I used to wake up every night with congestion, but the pillows mask keeps the upper airways amazingly clear. Smile Shame about the leaks, sore nose and stupid headband. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Colds and Nasal Pillows
I had a cold about 1 month after getting my APAP and found the same thing - the pressure seems to clear out the nasal passages and there is no problem.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Nuance Pro nasal pillow mask and have had a few colds this past year and almost always the pressure of my system (7) can overcome the nasal blockage, but not always. Ive used nasal decongestant on occasion when ive been too congested and my relatively low pressure setting cannot overcome the blockage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2014, 12:01 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote: So when you have a cold and your nose is all stuffy...

It can be a problem if all you have is a nasal mask, but since you have a full face mask all you do is breathe through your mouth.

Like others, my nasal mask keeps my passages open. I'm just now getting over a cold. The worst nasal congestion I've had since getting my machine 3 years ago.

I couldn't imagine having a cold and being without my NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle. It's the best!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2014, 12:01 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote: So when you have a cold and your nose is all stuffy...

Lamb

I crank up the humidifier, sinus rinse before bed and if still stuffy and cannot use my nasal mask ...
I get the Quattro Air out of the cupboard but only as a last resort
Post Reply Post Reply
FFM. I can be totally stopped up and unable to breathe thru my nose period. Ill put on the FFM crank up the humidity and breathe thru my mouth. But normally only a few minutes. What I do is inhale thru my mouth and exhale as much as I can thru my nose. That in conjunction with the humidity will normally open my nose totally up in 5 min or so.

Then I can start breathing thru my nose as I normally do even in a FFM

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.