Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Coming back to Cpap
Coming back to Cpap
Hi guys!

I was using the dreamstation Auto Cpap and couldn't get use to it and hence I stopped using it.

Came back to give it another try.

I have changed the min to be at 4, ramp at 30 mins. 

Popped a melatonin pill to help me sleep and attached the results.

As I have stopped treatment for nearly a year, I am unsure if my results were good.

From what I could tell. my 90% is around the 10 range. I should increase my min to that range to receive a better treatment.

However, I am unable to sleep with such a high min. How could i do that? ramp to start at 4? and increase ramp time to maybe 45mins?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sidenote: Do you guys use your cpap on the plane? Travelled to UK this year and snored on the plane, causing others to give me weird stares.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Coming back to Cpap
I'd recommend you set your minimum pressure to 8cm to get better results. Also if you do use Ramp I wouldn't set it lower than 6cm.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fyero,

Glad your going to give it another try.  

Your results are not horrible, but not great either.   You really won’t receive effective  treatment using a minimum pressure of 4.  This can give you of feeling of being starved for air.

Move your minimum pressure to 8cm, with a ramp starting at 6 for 15 minutes.  Use these settings until you are used to the feel of the pressure.  But you will need to eventually work your minimum pressure upwards until you see an improvement, at least to 10 minimum.  

Even a minimum pressure of 8 will probably not be high enough to treat your Obstructives,
Snores and Flow Limitations, but it’s a start.

These pressures are not high, it is a matter of you giving it a fair chance.  Try using your machine before bedtime with mask on while reading or watching the television.  This helps distract you and get used to the pressure.  

Yep, no one would be happy to be on a plane with someone that is snoring.   Smile
Also, if you sleep on a plane, try using a small neck cushion turned around and placed under your chin. This will help support your chin and keep your mouth closed, and keep you from snoring.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2018, 06:27 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I'd recommend you set your minimum pressure to 8cm to get better results. Also if you do use Ramp I wouldn't set it lower than 6cm.

(07-20-2018, 06:30 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi fyero,

Glad your going to give it another try.  

Your results are not horrible, but not great either.   You really won’t receive effective  treatment using a minimum pressure of 4.  This can give you of feeling of being starved for air.

Move your minimum pressure to 8cm, with a ramp starting at 6 for 15 minutes.  Use these settings until you are used to the feel of the pressure.  But you will need to eventually work your minimum pressure upwards until you see an improvement, at least to 10 minimum.  

Even a minimum pressure of 8 will probably not be high enough to treat your Obstructives,
Snores and Flow Limitations, but it’s a start.

These pressures are not high, it is a matter of you giving it a fair chance.  Try using your machine before bedtime with mask on while reading or watching the television.  This helps distract you and get used to the pressure.  

Yep, no one would be happy to be on a plane with someone that is snoring.   Smile

Thank you both for your inputs.

Will do so ! hopefully ill be able to get used to it ! Fingers crossed.

Will do so and upload my results again after a week Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
4 is far to low for sure.  Try 8 to see if you can cope with that a bit better, but you might need to go to 10, if you find it a struggle just go to 6 and when you get used to it go to 8 then 10 it you feel you need it.  But you are returning to CPAP so you have an idea how it works.  If you find a long RAMP helps use it, but you are getting a bit of snoring so you need to get to a higher pressure during the night to give you a better treatment.

Above all, never give up!   Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2018, 06:27 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I'd recommend you set your minimum pressure to 8cm to get better results. Also if you do use Ramp I wouldn't set it lower than 6cm.

Yes, that might work fine, though there is a bit of everything thrown in with the results, but a lot night clear up yet.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Air Canada, at least, has a policy of not allowing CPAP machines to be run off airplane power - assuming you had a seat with power. I'm not sure if that's because the power isn't compatible or reliable, or just liability issues because it's medical equipment. I don't have a battery unit, so I didn't ask about using my own battery during flight.
I think it probably depends on the airline, so you should call ahead of time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2018, 06:36 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: 4 is far to low for sure.  Try 8 to see if you can cope with that a bit better, but you might need to go to 10, if you find it a struggle just go to 6 and when you get used to it go to 8 then 10 it you feel you need it.  But you are returning to CPAP so you have an idea how it works.  If you find a long RAMP helps use it, but you are getting a bit of snoring so you need to get to a higher pressure during the night to give you a better treatment.

Above all, never give up!   Smile

Thanks ! Will try out these configurations and report back!

(07-20-2018, 06:43 AM)pholynyk Wrote: I think Air Canada, at least, has a policy of not allowing CPAP machines to be run off airplane power - assuming you had a seat with power. I'm not sure if that's because the power isn't compatible or reliable, or just liability issues because it's medical equipment. I don't have a battery unit, so I didn't ask about using my own battery during flight.
I think it probably depends on the airline, so you should call ahead of time.

Will do so! thanks !
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys,

I have changed the min to 8 last night and was able to sleep after getting used to it while watching shows on my hp.

I did off the cpap for some time to do my stuff before continuing at night.

Are my results better compared to the previous night?

Thanks in advance !
Post Reply Post Reply
It look's like your going to need to increase your minimum pressure some more. I would continue to increase the minimum pressure .5cm at a time. Give each increase a few days to figure out if the increase is enough.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,953 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,200 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 395 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 539 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.