Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comment about AHI Stats
Comment about AHI Stats
This morning I woke up feeling as if I had gotten a terrific night's sleep. As always, I checked my stats in Sleepyhead and was surprised to discover that my AHI was 10.5.

What I noticed in the graphs, however, is that I had SEVERAL obstructive apneas between 11:00 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. But the next seven hours were relatively incident free. Smooth sailing.

I can only assume that the rough half hour was because of the position I was sleeping in. But I'm curious to know why AHI is averaged out the way it is, because if you go on that one stat alone, it's very misleading.

Obviously, it's better to have a low AHI, but if the majority of the incidents happened in one large cluster over a short period of time, it seems to me that that higher AHI really means nothing in regard to your overall sleep.

Am I wrong about this?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Comment about AHI Stats
I had noted this also in another thread but seems to me AHI is a somewhat poor indicator of sleep quality unless that number is very high. If you have an AHI of 60, your sleep is definitely going to be of poor quality but if it is, say 10, it may or may not be bad.

Having 20 events in 1.5 hours then having no events for the next 7 means you probably got some good sleep versus having 20 events scattered throughout the night.

My 2 cents anyways (no science to back it up :-) )

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2013, 09:15 AM)robgb Wrote: Am I wrong about this?
No you,re not wrong. how you feel is better indicator
AHI is an average per hour, calculated by dividing number of apnea events by hours of sleep

Sometimes, I had few days with most of evens occurred in the 1/2 hour or early in the morning when laying in bed awake, talking, coughing, blowing my nose. Such events are discarded for true AHI value

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Comment about AHI AI HI Stats
(03-13-2013, 09:15 AM)robgb Wrote: This morning I woke up feeling as if I had gotten a terrific night's sleep. As always, I checked my stats in Sleepyhead and was surprised to discover that my AHI was 10.5.

That reminds me....

From what I was reading through I need to know....

I have been led to believe that the S9 AutoSet will display AHI only?
And if I need to find the AI and/or HI I need to use SleepyHead or ResScan?

This is the conclusion I got from reading through the manual last night but I'm asking since - maybe I missed something.
Unless I'm being screwed again it should be less than a week now.

Also I made note of every available model number for the AutoSet

And every available model number for the Escape Auto

Are there any others? To be absolutely sure of what they're sticking me with next week I want to make sure I have a complete list since I fear that despite my explicit words and the prescription which says "AutoCPAP" I may get the runaround.
Post Reply Post Reply
Press and hold both the Info and the Setup button. This will enter into a second report area. The second tab in there is the Sleep Report. It reports hours, pressure, leaks, AHI, AI, and CI as well as some other stuff.

I don't know why you are concerned over model numbers. Even an "older" S9 will still be as good as a "newer" one. There's been a lot of discussion here over the firmware upgrades but no conclusions were ever reached. Just look by the power button for the type of S9. Also look at the serial code on the label on the back. I'd not take one that was from any earlier than 2010.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and write down the process for looking at the machine hours used. That data cannot be erased. Check this before you sign anything.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 340 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 339 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [CPAP] Oura Ring Sleep Stats with CPAP FooMan 2 1,113 01-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Chask
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 404 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,476 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  oscar stats-need help teamarliss 2 383 12-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: teamarliss
  Wisp stats mousetrap 6 3,548 09-08-2023, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.