Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Commercial featuring a CPAP user
Commercial featuring a CPAP user
I didn't see any other threads about this...

I saw a commercial the other day for Luvs diapers and it shows the husband wearing a CPAP machine. I think it's interesting that they did this, especially considering it really wasn't a necessity. Maybe they thought it was funny, or maybe someone involved in the commercial uses one and took the opportunity to do a sort of silent PSA to promote awareness? Smile Either way, it was neat to see one in an unrelated commercial.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Commercial featuring a CPAP user
First time seeing that one.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Count me as a cynic but I can't help but think that it was used for comic relief. Unless they were selling CPAP gear, Madison Ave. only cares about selling the item at hand and doesn't care about raising awareness.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah.

I don't get why he is featured with cpap and nor will pretty much anybody else. And it would be far easier to laugh at if he just fell asleep normally.
Post Reply Post Reply
Commercial makes no sense! Huh
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What a dumb commercial IMHO.
Post Reply Post Reply
I took it as poking fun and used the CPAP as a prop to relay the message that they were old and tired and worn out. Playing to stereotype.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Stigma.

That's what the issue is here. And that stigma is exactly what many use as an excuse to not get treatment.

People think "Oh, I don't want to end up like that guy.", but what you really don't want to end up like is the guy who won't consider getting treatment and the guy who didn't get treatment that now has no shot at seeing his daughter walk down the aisle because he is now six feet under.

So I find their use of it not a "silent PSA" to promote awareness, but as a cheap shot that only upholds the stigma. That is not helpful, and is actually harmful. There is a special level in hell for people who produce commercials like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2015, 01:25 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote: Stigma.

So I find their use of it not a "silent PSA" to promote awareness, but as a cheap shot that only upholds the stigma. That is not helpful, and is actually harmful. There is a special level in hell for people who produce commercials like that.
Yeah, I think that is pretty much the case whenever I have seen ANY representation of CPAP use in popular media - think Homer Simpson. It shows the lazy fat guy in the mask. Now, I may fit the stereotype, but ...

Its "humorous" presentation is still a negative message about PAP therapy.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I sure don't see it as a poke at CPAP users. It's just way to emphasize the "sleep not sex" joke at the end.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 146 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,290 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,684 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,225 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,097 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,679 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 356 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.