Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Compact (small size) humidifer options for ResMed S9 ?
Compact (small size) humidifer options for ResMed S9 ?

I have an ResMed S9 with the H5 humidifier option...
It's a nice unit for home, but I travel from time to time and the equipment is kinda bulky esp. if I carry the humidifier ...

Are there any compact humidifier options available ... even if they are less advanced than the H5 that would work with my unit?

I've read about several "Waterless Humidification" options like on the Transend II, but have not found anything that would work with the S9.

Are there any options?
It wouldn't have to be "perfect" just better than nothing... ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Compact (small size) humidifer options for ResMed S9 ?
If wanted, you can use the S9 without H5i (just disconnect H5i and connect the hose (not ClimateLine) directly into the S9
For me the humidifier and machine comes together and cannot use the machine without humidifier but everyone is different

Which S9 do use, model name shown next to power button
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk...

I have the S9 autoset with the H5i humidifier...
At present when I go on trips (motorcycle trips mostly, so space is limited) I disconnect the H5i and leave it at home and just use the S9 with the unheated tube.

I've been reasonably successful using the S9 without the H5i, but was hoping I could find something that was compact even if it didn't work as well...

Have considered just making a small box with a wet sponge in it and routing the air hose through it ......
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some standalone humidifiers. One from Respironics, and one from Fisher&Paykell. The Respironics one is unheated. Supplier #1 on the suppliers list is a good place to look them up.

However, if you really look at what you end up with, I'm not sure you have that much less to pack.

The waterless humidifier concept is interesting, but it's sort of in the early development stage at the moment. The idea of a wet sponge type thing that soaks up water and sits wet all the time as you breathe through it concerns me from a germ and cleanliness standpoint. The HME is a consumable part that needs to be changed once a week or so.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even a desktop-sized humidifier to keep the air around you humid enough is going to be about the same size as the H5i.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks folks....

I found this video of the HME ... very simple conceptuallly, and the elements are very small.
I would guess that trying to "retro-fit" an HME into a different brand of CPAP might screw up the calibration of the unit?

For the $5 cost of the element I might try one just to see what happens.... ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply

I don't have enough posts in to post links, but if you go to YouTube and search on:

"HME Waterless Humidification for Transcend CPAP Machines"

They have a description of it...
Post Reply Post Reply
For the record, you cannot post a link to a commercial site anyway. No matter how many posts you have. If the YouTube video had commercial links in it, or if it was by a commercial retailer (vs a user), I would have had to remove it. You did the right thing with "here's the search terms".

The Transcend is that itty bitty CPAP, right?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have not tried this product myself, but
I have read some bad reports on that waterless humidifier.
Some guy measured it at 70db noise level! Something like Darth Vader.
So it looks to me like it works but you might need ear plugs or be deaf.

Points to keep in mind....

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
70db ... super ....
It's mostly motorcycle trips, I will have ear plugs ;-)

I will proceed with caution, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,882 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 228 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 546 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,591 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Airsense 10 humidifer reservoir runs dry after 4 hours jwtm 18 1,239 12-24-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,950 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,228 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.