Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comparative Analysis of 8 APAP Machines
RE: Comparative Analysis of 8 APAP Machines
Interesting info. I will have to say that I checked my data for my Apex Auto after reading this and I will say it shows clearly that when I have an event the pressure rises accordingly and corrects the problem. But I also use a bottom pressure of 8 cmH20 if that makes any difference I don't know.

The other thing to wonder is which version of the Apex Auto did they use in the test? I had a chance to try two of them and they had two different model numbers. The last digit of one of them was one higher than the other. Don't know exactly why or what changes had been made but thought it would be worth mentioning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wondering if this is a typo. Otherwise I can't make any sense out of this.

"D = Resmart (Light Blue)
G = Apex XT-Auto (Light Blue)"

It shows two Light Blues.

Thanx for all the work you put into this BTW.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2016, 03:45 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: Here is the sponsorship info from that report:

Footnotes

Support statement: This work was carried out within the framework of a ResMed–University of Barcelona contract aimed at bench testing automatic continuous positive airway pressure devices. ResMed provided financial support to carry out the study but did not intervene in the design or performance of the tests, or in the data analysis. ResMed also funded the assistance of a medical writer in preparing the manuscript. Funding information for this article has been deposited with FundRef.

Conflict of interest: Disclosures can be found alongside this article at openres.ersjournals.com

Received June 5, 2015.
Accepted July 26, 2015.

Copyright ©ERS 2015

This article is open access and distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Licence 4.0.

SHOCKED! SHOCKED, I SAY!!! UTTERLY FLABBERGASTED!!!! The folks that pay for the study come out on top!

Follow the money. Always follow the money.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another analysis - I think the respironics and resmed do well, they seem both good allrounders. see link:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4481055/
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 07:00 AM)stephennic Wrote: Here is another analysis - I think the respironics and resmed do well, they seem both good allrounders. see link:
Cheers
Steve

Interesting study, but no key to associate the machine identities with their device number assignment means we don't know which machines excelled and which ones failed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 08:34 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 07:00 AM)stephennic Wrote: Here is another analysis - I think the respironics and resmed do well, they seem both good allrounders. see link:
Cheers
Steve

Interesting study, but no key to associate the machine identities with their device number assignment means we don't know which machines excelled and which ones failed.

The key is at the bottom of each of the figures. I had to open them in another window in order to see it.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
The study design definitely rewards speed of response, and I have not checked whether the study was sponsored by Resmed. Might have to do that.

This is what they say in the acknowledgments section:

"Acknowledgements

The authors wish to thank Miguel Angel Rodriguez (University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain) for his technical support in execution of the tests and Nicola Ryan, an independent medical writer funded by ResMed, for her assistance in preparing the manuscript."

Probably ResMed didn't fund directly the researchers, but it was definitely involved at some level.
Post Reply Post Reply
The other study mentioned in the thread says:

This was not an industry supported study. This research was supported by a CIFRE grant to K. Zhu, from the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research. The authors have indicated no financial conflicts of interest.

Obviously that does not exclude bias completely, but at least seems more reliable in terms of results.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's also a good recent explanation by Sleeprider here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid281361
Post Reply Post Reply
So funding was provided by ResMed and they conveniently forgot to include the DreamStation Auto CPAP in their testing? Nice. I guess we can infer the performance of the DreamStation is on par with, or better then, the ResMed machine?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,397 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.