Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comparative Analysis of 8 APAP Machines
RE: Comparative Analysis of 8 APAP Machines
The PRS1 was included, which has an earlier edition of what became the Dreamstation firmware. The research was published in 2015. Presumably the Dreamstation wasn't a product yet when the study was going on.

The link in my earlier reply points to a mini-tutorial by Sleeprider about the main difference between Philips and Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2019, 08:03 AM)nbritton Wrote: So funding was provided by ResMed and they conveniently forgot to include the DreamStation Auto CPAP in their testing? Nice. I guess we can infer the performance of the DreamStation is on par with, or better then, the ResMed machine?

You don't read so wel The Studyl included the following machines listed as D1- D11
D1 Control
D2 RESmart Auto
D3 iSleep20i
D4, Floton Auto
D5, SleepCube Auto
D6 ICON+
D7 PR1 Remstar Auto
D8 S9 AutoSet
D9 DreamStar Auto
D10 Transcend Auto
D11 SOMNOBalance-e.

The test was done before the Philips Dreamstation orResmed Airsense 10 were available, so the previous generations were used. The Philips Respironics System One 60 Series has a different form factor, but the therapeutic algorithm and functionality is mostly unchanged in the /Dreamstation, and the same can be said of the Resmed S9 vs Airsense 10.  In the Study, the Philips was D7 and the Resmed D8, so it's very easy to compare them. For example in this graph, D7 left a lot of hypopnea that D8 resolved.

While the Resmed S9 Autoset did very well and the Philips Auto was pretty close, I think that the clear winner was D3, the iSleep 20i Auto, a device we don't hear much about.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out the on-line reviews for iSleep 20i Auto and that might indicate why we don't hear too much about this unit.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears to be discontinued anyway. At least it cured the apnea machine first. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2019, 10:11 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Studyl included the following machines listed as D1- D11
D1 Control
D2 RESmart Auto
D3 iSleep20i
D4, Floton Auto
D5, SleepCube Auto
D6 ICON+
D7 PR1 Remstar Auto
D8 S9 AutoSet
D9 DreamStar Auto
D10 Transcend Auto
D11 SOMNOBalance-e.

That looks like a good one too.  Smile  But the paper that you cited originally is "Comparative assessment of several automatic CPAP devices' responses: a bench test study" by Valentina Isetta, Daniel Navajas, Josep M. Montserrat, and Ramon Farré:
(09-09-2016, 02:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I found an article that may be worth reproducing or summarizing on the main forum.  I thought I'd run it by you guys first.  I don't think there is a commercial issue here.
http://openres.ersjournals.com/content/1/1/00031-2015

... which says:
Quote:Devices tested were AirSense 10 (ResMed), Dreamstar (Sefam), Icon (Fisher & Paykel), Resmart (BMC), Somnobalance (Weinmann), System One (Respironics) and XT-Auto (Apex).
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point. The original post was over 2 years ago and my memory does not go back that far. Anyway, they both seem to have representatives form Resmed and Philips.
A1 AirSense 10 standard setting
A2 AirSense 10 response setting
B Dreamstar
C Icon
D Resmart
E Somnobalance
F System One
G XT-Auto.

I found this graph really hard to interpret for color, and in this case the Resmed was clearly much more responsive than the rest of the cohort under either the standard or responsive mode.

[Image: F3.large.jpg?width=800&height=600&carousel=1]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, yeah, that's right, both studies have been mentioned in the thread, sorry.  I was looking all the way back to the beginning and assuming that nbritton's comment about the Dreamstation had to do with that first one.  But both studies did include a PRS1, predecessor of the Dreamstation, so I guess it doesn't matter.  As you say, the important thing is the Resmed-versus-Philips comparison, or more generally any one manufacturer's methods against all other manufacturers' methods.

And speaking of which, I suggest that parts of your posts here would, if put together and edited slightly for continuity, make a useful wiki article:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid281361

and

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid273655

Because that general question seems to be asked quite often by folks just starting out with CPAP and shopping for a machine:  "What's the deal with Resmed vs. PR, and is one better than the other, and if so, how and why?"
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, those are pretty stong opinions for a wiki page, but I could see it as a personal wiki, like Archangle's Machine Choices. Good thought, and I'll bookmark it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I have already noted the importance of the content noted and am looking at rewriting the info into a more wiki friendly article
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred, don't miss this from earlier today: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid281984 If the full data is available in addition to these close-ups I think we can start showing why the I:E times are so screwed up.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9698]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,409 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 367 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 201 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  csa machines cexer 1 75 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 569 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.