Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comparing Oximeters - I should have known better...
RE: Comparing Oximeters - I should have known better...
Supplier #19 is highly recommended here for for pulse oximeters
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
(02-11-2013, 06:35 PM)JJJ Wrote: The link works, but Contec's web site has never heard of a CMS50EW. There's a phone number, but I didn't call. I was only curious if the Bluetooth capability might mean I don't need a Windows computer to get the data into SleepyHead.

My guess is that the Bluetooth will need the Contec driver and so will need Windows.
Did you check on the CMS50F? I have been using that for a few months with good results.
There is a free windows based program to fetch data from the device and it all works quite well.

Smile
(02-11-2013, 10:52 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Did you check on the CMS50F? I have been using that for a few months with good results.There is a free windows based program to fetch data from the device and it all works quite well.

I suspect it might not work so well if you don't have a Windows computer. Sad
(02-11-2013, 11:16 PM)JJJ Wrote: [quote='Shastzi' pid='29242' dateline='1360641131']

What sort of computer do you have and, if you don't mind my asking, how computer literate are you?

If you have a Mac then google search "run pc programs on mac free" might be helpful to you.

oops double post
JJJ the blue tooth was added at the time to connect to laptops, not cell phones or tablets - if they have as of yet changed that or updated the software I am unaware. The drivers and receivers are proprietary and a bit of a pain to get and install if they didn't come with the install CD.
(02-12-2013, 03:15 AM)Moriarty Wrote:
(02-11-2013, 11:16 PM)JJJ Wrote: [quote='Shastzi' pid='29242' dateline='1360641131']
What sort of computer do you have and, if you don't mind my asking, how computer literate are you?
If you have a Mac then google search "run pc programs on mac free" might be helpful to you.

Amazingly, there are computers that are not Mac or Windows. Smile

As for computer literacy, I bought my first computer in 1983 and in 1990 I started building my computers myself. All of the software on my machines is open source. I do part-time tech support for Linux and Unix at the local university, where I also occasionally give talks on using open source software for academic purposes.

Changing the subject a bit, last night I e-mailed Supplier #19 to inquire about oximeters that do not require a Windows computer to import the data, and specifically if the CMS50EW could do so. Their reply this morning is that the Bluetooth in the CMS50EW is just for convenience in transferring the data to a Windows computer; you still must use the proprietary software to get the data into SleepyHead. They suggested (since I told them I had an S9 Autoset) that the nicest solution would be an Onin oximeter that is designed to attach directly to the S9, thus its data goes on the same SD card and can be read directly by SleepyHead. Another advantage is that, since it is attached to the S9, the time of an event is always the same as what the S9 reports - no need to fiddle with synchronizing the oximeter with the S9. However, the drawback of the Onin oximeter is that it costs $700.

So I guess I won't be getting an oximeter. Sad
JJJ

I trained on PDP8Ls, so I know very well that there are other things besides Macs and PeeCees - my desktop of choice for many years was an SGI Indy, followed fast by and O2 (say it after me - "Never Beige!") and I still have boxes that double or triple boot into Linux or OSX if needed, but let's face it - it is a Windoze world, I had to come to terms with it after swimming against the stream for gods know how long. And if it ain't Windoze, it's Mac. Linux users simply get stuck with buggers like this, and like most things, alas, until a dedicated bastler comes along and cobbles up a Linux version of whatever it is they need.

Alas, if you want to keep in a price range that doesn't break the bank, you are stuck with a fingerling that costs around 100 or so and only connects to Windoze through proprietary software.

The big question is to why you want an oxymeter. If you suspect you are still getting anoxia in some way, then by all means, but if not, and you are feeling fine with your CPAP as is, then it doesn't do much more than satisfy curiosity.

On the other hand if you are still getting sleepy during the day, then it is worth looking at one, if only to check that there are other things happening than the events recorded on your CPAP....

My rule is don't spend a ton if you don't have to, and mostly, you don't - simple devices do sufficient diagnostics to point you in the right direction, be it to satisfy your angst or to get you back to your doctor....

(02-12-2013, 11:18 AM)JJJ Wrote: However, the drawback of the Onin oximeter is that it costs $700.

So I guess I won't be getting an oximeter. Sad

And then there is the cost of the oximeter adapter from ResMed or some other supplier. I think I found that they cost about $300.

Made it worth re-imaging my old Windows laptop to use SPO2 Review. Then I'll either have to copy the files over to my Mac to import into SleepyHead (or maybe install SH on my Windows laptop).

For about $150-200, you should be able to pick up the CMS50D and a used windows machine. Way cheaper than going the Onin and ResMEd adapter route.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,657 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
Brick Can slight arrythmia disrupt oximeters? Seems not? DavidEsp 3 557 04-13-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Comparing AHI Severity with Lowest o2 Sat Severity GoliGoli 2 588 08-02-2022, 09:36 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] OXIMETERS -- RACIAL DIFFERENCES srlevine1 0 491 06-02-2022, 06:39 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Comparing Data from different modes and pressures melbell 3 747 04-05-2022, 10:29 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CMS50I-CMS50F oximeters: technical and uploading differences and limits 2SleepBetta 16 3,520 11-19-2021, 02:30 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Comparing Resmed S9 with S10 Benzi 3 1,026 02-17-2021, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Benzi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.