Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comparing Resmed machines in Australia vs US
Comparing Resmed machines in Australia vs US
I live in Australia and recently did a bilevel sleep study, I  as my current Autoset 10 does not provide the therapy I need. I wont get results of sleep study for 2-3 weeks, so while waiting have been doing some research.

The autoset is showing some centrals, and episodes of periodic breathing, but this needs to be confirmed by the sleep study , so expect one of the following machines will be suitable.

Could someone please explain if there is any advantage/difference in the following Resmed machines

Lumis 100 (australia) vs Aircurve 10 Vauto bilevel (USA)

Aircurve 10 CS Pacewave (australia)   vs  Aircurve 10 ASV (USA)

Secondly, is a script required from a sleep physician in Australia and US, when I will be buying outright (no insurance)

many thanks
Mal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Comparing Resmed machines in Australia vs US
G'day Mal

From what I have seen around, the Aircurve 10 CS Pacewave (Australia) is exactly the same as the Aircurve 10 ASV (USA).

I believe the Lumis 100 is the same as the Aircurve 10 S. On the Resmed Australia page it's now referred to as the Lumis 100 VPAP S. Details here: https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-...pap-s.html

I don't know that Resmed have a direct counterpart for the VAuto here. It seems to go from the Lumis 100 to the 150 (VPAP-ST and ST-a). The range is listed here: https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-...vices.html

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a comparison table or chart on the Australian website.

As far as a prescription is concerned, legally you don't need a prescription for any CPAP or Bilevel (including ASV) in Australia. However I have seen a few sellers now requiring a prescription or doctor's order for ASV, presumably because these machines are still contraindicated for patients with heart failure. (Notwithstanding that may change in future).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mal

I think anyone can buy a CPAP machine. Its not covered under Medicare so you are paying 100% I dont think suppliers care except  being instructed by your Lung Doctor on the settings.

If you are on a Health Care Card you can apply for an annual energy supplement payment from Centrelink of about $160;

If you have  Medical Insurance  the Medical Benefit Business will need  a copy of a Doctors Script for  the cpap machine and a payment receipt when you submit a claim.

I cant advise on the differences between cpap  machines.

So wishing you Easy Breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2020, 03:37 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Mal

From what I have seen around, the Aircurve 10 CS Pacewave (Australia) is exactly the same as the Aircurve 10 ASV (USA).

I believe the Lumis 100 is the same as the Aircurve 10 S. On the Resmed Australia page it's now referred to as the Lumis 100 VPAP S.  Details here: https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-...pap-s.html

I don't know that Resmed have a direct counterpart for the VAuto here. It seems to go from the Lumis 100 to the 150 (VPAP-ST and ST-a). The range is listed here: https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-...vices.html

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a comparison table or chart on the Australian website.

As far as a prescription is concerned, legally you don't need a prescription for any CPAP or Bilevel (including ASV) in Australia. However I have seen a few sellers now requiring a prescription or doctor's order for ASV, presumably because these machines are still contraindicated for patients with heart failure. (Notwithstanding that may change in future).

Thanks for that.

I vaguely recall (forget where) reading the vauto is automatic pressure, and the Lumis 100 S  is fixed pressure.....not sure though
Also the Lumis in Australia is $3500 and the vauto from 1800 cpap (with a 10% discount) works out to A$2682 including shipping and GST   .   I guess I have to decide if the saving of $643 is worth it for warranty issues
Ive inquired at 3 different retailers about ASV Pacewave, and all 3 said they need a prescription to buy. Maybe I sound like "an old boy" and they think I'm ordering wrong machine   hahaha
I'm probably beating the gun enquiring now before my sleep study results , but I am the impatient type :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2020, 03:50 AM)wesozzzz Wrote: Hi Mal

I think anyone can buy a CPAP machine. Its not covered under Medicare so you are paying 100% I dont think suppliers care except  being instructed by your Lung Doctor on the settings.

If you are on a Health Care Card you can apply for an annual energy supplement payment from Centrelink of about $160;

If you have  Medical Insurance  the Medical Benefit Business will need  a copy of a Doctors Script for  the cpap machine and a payment receipt when you submit a claim.

I cant advise on the differences between cpap  machines.

So wishing you Easy Breathing
Gee I didnt know about the Centrelink payment. I will phone them

Thanks for the tip :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2020, 04:01 AM)Mal777 Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 03:37 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Mal

I believe the Lumis 100 is the same as the Aircurve 10 S. On the Resmed Australia page it's now referred to as the Lumis 100 VPAP S.  Details here: https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-...pap-s.html

woops, Ive got myself confused here. I didnt realise in US there was an Aircurve 10S and Aircurve vauto as different machines.
Thanks for that.

I vaguely recall (forget where) reading the vauto is automatic pressure, and the Lumis 100 S  is fixed pressure.....not sure though
Also the Lumis in Australia is $3500 and the vauto from 1800 cpap (with a 10% discount) works out to A$2682 including shipping and GST   .   I guess I have to decide if the saving of $643 is worth it for warranty issues
Ive inquired at 3 different retailers about ASV Pacewave, and all 3 said they need a prescription to buy. Maybe I sound like "an old boy" and they think I'm ordering wrong machine   hahaha
I'm probably beating the gun enquiring now before my sleep study results , but I am the impatient type :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
You're right - the S is fixed pressure and the Vauto is automatic. As far as I can see you would need to go up to the Lumis 150 ST in Ivaps mode to get auto epap, else get the Aircurve Vauto from the states.

By the way there is no GST on medical devices but there is a Customs fee which was around $80 last time I looked. So there is a bit of a saving there.

Interesting about the prescription. I wonder if this is a new regulation or just a case of CYA? I'll need to do some digging.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well with no GST the Vauto is looking very good if that’s what I’m prescribed. Probably about $800 saving ...and auto pressure 
Do you know if these machines are reliable?  Would not be easy to send back to USA for breakdowns . And I doubt if you could service a Vauto with ResMed Australia
Post Reply Post Reply
No, Resmed explicitly state they will not honour the warranty on a privately imported machine (even if it's made in Australia)! You can generally get a five year warranty here v two years overseas, plus the hassle of sending it back if there is a problem. Having said that, I think they're pretty reliable overall. My S9 developed a fault in the humidifier at about 4 years and 10 months - Resmed fixed it and also replaced the blower motor, which I though was pretty darn good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2020, 04:38 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: You're right - the S is fixed pressure and the Vauto is automatic. As far as I can see you would need to go up to the Lumis 150 ST in Ivaps mode to get auto epap, else get the Aircurve Vauto from the states.

By the way there is no GST on medical devices but there is a Customs fee which was around $80 last time I looked. So there is a bit of a saving there.

Interesting about the prescription. I wonder if this is a new regulation or just a case of CYA? I'll need to do some digging.

I think my current autoset 10 is automatic pressure, so if I go from a Autoset 10 to a Lumis 100 S, I'd be getting pressure support, but no automatic pressure. Would this be a problem do you think?
(thanks for info on warranty too..)

Mal
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,534 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 173 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 596 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,143 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.