Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comparison of ResMed AirFit P10 & Philips DreamWear Nasal Pillow (not Cushion) Mask?
Question 
Comparison of ResMed AirFit P10 & Philips DreamWear Nasal Pillow (not Cushion) Mask?
Can anybody who has tested both tell how the two compare?

I've been reading up on reviews, but it's pretty much always about the DreamWare with Nasal Cushion Mask.

The DreamWare frame looks like an innovative new approach for hose and mask management, with the hose connection at the top being the most promising aspect (the Philips website claims that it enables sleep in any position, even on the stomach), but according to almost all reviews the current version is a flawed design (not as comfortable as one may think, more prone to leaks and especially causing irritating noise from the front vent, silicone side arms and top vent).

From what I have read so far, the AirFit P10 still reigns supreme, especially due to its low weight, well thought through exhaust design and therefore lowest noise level.

P.S. I know that any answers will be highly subjective and that I just have to trial masks myself, but I'm currently only doing recon having to wait for my sleep clinic appointment scheduled in October (I wish it would be earlier).
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Comparison of ResMed AirFit P10 & Philips DreamWear Nasal Pillow (not Cushion) Mask?
Didn’t like the DreamWare at all.  I was never able to get a good seal whether using the nasal cushion or the nasal pillow.  

I have no patience being awakened by leaks and having to adjust a mask all night.  Sad

The hose on top of the head bothered me due the vent blowing air on my head.  

I found the DreamWare mask to be very noisy where the P10 is silent and does not move.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Comparison of ResMed AirFit P10 & Philips DreamWear Nasal Pillow (not Cushion) Mask?
I have tried the Dreamwear and did not like it.  One of the main annoyances for me was the loud air turbulence sound emitting from the supply tubes that pass near the ears.  The P10 still rules in this comparison.   My Dreamwear now collects dust in a box.

While you did not list it, the F&P Brevida comes closer to the P10 in performance and quietness than any other mask that I have tried.  For me, the Brevida provides a tighter seal than the P10 and also has fully adjustable headgear.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer the Dreamwear over the P10. Pluses and minuses to both but the P10 caused too much nasal irritation for me even when using lanolin. I normally use the Dreamwear with the cushions but am currently testing out the full face mask, a plus with the Dreamwear - the versatility.

The P10 is quieter and has better venting but there's just something about the pillows that bothers me. Maybe I just need to give it more time. I do like the hose being up top though on the Dreamwear.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask preference is subjective. Only way to know is to try a bunch of them. I have tried Dreamwear nasal pillow, Dreameware nasal cushion, Respironics Wisp, and Airfit N20.
For me, the Dreamwear nasal cushion is the best. I sleep on my back, and find that the weight of the Dreamwear nasal cushion is minimal. The Wisp and Airfit N20 seemed to weigh a lot and were nowhere near as comfortable as the Dreamwear. 

The Dreamwear nasal cushion was, for me, much more comfortable than the Dreamwear nasal pillows. I couldn't be happier with the the Dreamwear nasal cushion. It is louder than other nasal masks I've tried, but I don't really notice that since I'm 4 months in. 

The Dreamwear may be worth trying at some point, since it is very different than other nasal masks/pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love the idea of the P10 - so light and small. But fit just isn't right for me and ends up hurting my septum after just a few hours. The Dreamwear nasal cushion is much better for me and works surprisingly well compared to nasal pillows. It's a bit nosier, and doesn't have the cool diffused vent of the P10, but I can wear it all night without it hurting my nose. And it shifts less for me when change positions from back, to sides than my N20 or my Whisp nasal masks. YMMV.

(My nasal pillows for the Dreamwear don't arrive until tonight, though, so I can't say how they compare. But I can say that I really didn't like the Nuance pillow mask - the fabric frame had no stiffening to prevent the weight of the pillow and hose assembly from torquing the mask as I shifted in my sleep, a problem the P10 doesn't have since it has plastic frame stiffening and a super light mask and hose assembly.)

I think this is one of those things you will have to try for yourself and I don't think there is any way to predict how the fit will work for you with any certainty. Some internet vendors offer return free "insurance" so you can return a used mask if it doesn't work for you - I think you have to specifically check some box or order it separately, though, or you can't return the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I normally use the Airfit P10 but two nights ago I tried the Dreamwear Pillows, so this thread is perfect for me!

Impressions: I found the DW Pillows MORE comfortable than the P10.  I got a great seal, and the pillows seem to rest more on the outside of the nostrils than the P10, but the difference is small. (And yes, I previously tried the DW Cushion, but found it too noisy and prone to leaks) I find the airflow to the DW Pillows to be noticeably better than the P10. It feels more like I'm not wearing anything at all.  And having the hose at the top of the head is way more comfortable (less cumbersome) especially when it comes to shifting positions during sleep.  

Now the big BUT which explains why I switched back to the P10 in the middle of my first night with the DW Pillows: When laying on my side/stomach with the DW Pillows, I could hear the airfow through the headgear.  This was too distracting for me.  Maybe I'll try to get used to it at some point, but probably not.  For people who only sleep on your backs, I would definitely recommend trying the DW Pillows.  

Side note, I just ordered one of those hose management things for my P10 which will hopefully make the hose less cumbersome.  

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've just received the Dreamwear and I find it much better, no longer suffering from skin irritation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I only used the DW Pillows for a few hours but I could tell immediately they would be less irritating.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with the ResMed P10 but was never able to get a leak-free fit that didn't cause irritation to the bridge of my nose. I've done quite well with the Dreamwear nasal cushion mask. The headgear does need to be tight enough that changing positions won't move the mask enough to cause leaks, but it's not hard to find the right tension. Because the cushion sits very close to the nostrils I've occasionally had the sensation of being tickled, but that has diminished, maybe from getting accustomed to the fit. It is true that the side tubing makes some noticeable noise at higher pressures, but it has never been enough to bother me (then again I've tended to wear earplugs while sleeping since before my CPAP days).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,154 18 minutes ago
Last Post: car54
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,832 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 223 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,615 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,058 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,569 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.