Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comparison of ResMed AirFit P10 & Philips DreamWear Nasal Pillow (not Cushion) Mask?
RE: Comparison of ResMed AirFit P10 & Philips DreamWear Nasal Pillow (not Cushion) Mask?
I like the p10,small,very light and noiseless but causing irritation. I get real good numbers with that mask (couple  0.00) but i don't like the burning under my nose, (so many similar post).Last night i  took a small piece of medical tape and stuck it real close under my nostrils. Problem solved. This morning no redness , no irritation. ( rim of pillows brushing on tape instead of your skin )

I never tried the DW because i already have 2 pillow mask ,can't comment on it, but like Crimson NAPE said the Brevida might be considered only if for the adjustable headgear, a little bigger in size and really noiseless because of the air diffuser. But that's only my opinion.

Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Comparison of ResMed AirFit P10 & Philips DreamWear Nasal Pillow (not Cushion) Mask?
I started with Dreamwear cushions. Of my choices the sleep technician gave me at my sleep study, I was most comfortable with that one. I very happily used that for the first several months of xPAPing.

But then the headgear was becoming annoying due to it slipping, and the top vent was being blocked by my pillow or headboard, and when I toss & turn the cushion sometimes slips out of place and leaks. So I wanted to try something else. I tried the P10s, and I was SHOCKED at how silent they are. WOW! I hadn't realized how noisy the Dreamwear had been until I experienced the silence of the P10s.

It was annoying to try to manage the hose coming off of my face with the P10. But I bought a hose cover (so it's more snuggly if I do bump against it with my arms or body during the night). And I learned to tuck some hose under the corner of my pillow so it would stay off to the side.

I have super sensitive skin, and the P10 causes my nostrils to shed skin in the far corners of them. People sometimes tell me I have a boogger... but it's dead skin. I try to check for that now, especially if I'm going to a social event. (The DW didn't bother my skin at all.)

I keep wanting to go back to DW due to the skin sensitivity and also I like that the cushion doesn't go *in* any part or portion of my nostril. But each time I try to go back, I struggle with the things I'd previously struggled with (headgear, noise, vent nuisance, cushion sometimes moving in my sleep), and I just go right back to the P10.

I've also tried Nuance Gel (ok, but not as nice as P10), Wisp (fine, but I can't get a good seal), and Amara View (would be good if I could get it to stay sealed). I just keep coming back to the P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are getting an irritated nose from a P-10 there is an excellent chance you have it TOO TIGHT.

They arrive too tight for me, but at almost precisely the tension I would set if it had an adjustment.

I do use lanolin -- the axle grease consistency stuff -- the first few nights of a new mask then wear them for 6-10 months until they are so loose they almost fall off even after shrinking -- or until they fray down the strap.

Had it not been for the tendency to stretch I might never have loosened it enough.

Now, I stretch them vigorously before wearing them, use lanolin a few nights, and NEVER pull the mask away from my face when getting up.

First I turn off the air, then pull the strap off my head while holding the pillows stable, and the finally PUSH the pillows down and back into my upper lift (almost the wrong way for removing it) or find some other creative way to dislodge it like moving it side to side gently.

The way I wear the mask it is practically glued on at night, never slips -- I refuse to adjust it with the air on -- so pulling it off pulls skin away sometimes -- only a little but it adds up and adds to any problem from the initial tightness.

The main tricks are to NEVER let it move whenever you can avoid that and don't wear it too tight even if that feels "more secure".

This might apply to any pillow mask but it is something I must remind myself every 6-10 months when I change masks.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I have both the P10 and the Dream Wear gel Pillow mask. I like the latter but the volume of air exhaustion from the front of the mask is noisy, when compared to the P10. has anybody stuck a small amount of open gause in the open slot? I have but not sure if it will adversely affect the usage of the mask/air flow. On a test while I was awake it certainly reduced the noise, but like i said not sure if it would be safe to use it while asleep.

All comments appreciated.

Manor217
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2019, 12:22 AM)217manor Wrote: Hi, I have both the P10 and the Dream Wear gel Pillow mask. I like the latter but the volume of air exhaustion from the front of the mask is noisy, when compared to the P10. has anybody stuck a small amount of open gause in the open slot? I have but not sure if it will adversely affect the usage of the mask/air flow. On a test while I was awake it certainly reduced the noise, but like i said not sure if it would be safe to use it while asleep.

All comments appreciated.

Manor217

..or maybe CPAP filter material, on the inside or the outside? It presumably lets through enough airflow since that's what it normally does anyway. You would need to try it for a good long time awake to make sure airflow is adequate.

That said, I'd be hesitant to try and would actually recommend against it, since we haven't done the math the mask designers must have done in calculating exhaust port airflow specifications.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both and prefer the P10. I'm a stomach sleeper and I couldn't get used to the feeling of my head laying on that thick headgear tube. DW noise was an issue too, as mentioned above.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to modify the headgear on my DreamWear cushion. I had 3? of these masks. I had trouble getting a seal. I found the head gear inadequate. First one was ok.....but sleep quality became worse and worse. I'm now using an N20 and it's much better for me.

BTW I hope these posts are helping the person who asked the question....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2019, 09:01 AM)DaveL Wrote: BTW I hope these posts are helping the person who asked the question....

That would be me Bigwink

Even since before I got my machine, I was convinced that the P10 is the right mask for me, and I was right, works in any sleeping position and is super silent. Only problem is the hose management during the night because I change my sleep position often and not having a hose holder yet it is slightly annoying. I'm now waiting for the AirFit N30 to make it to my country (which should be in about 3 or 4 weeks), my DME provider promised me I'm going to be among the first to get one.
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,185 3 hours ago
Last Post: car54
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,846 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 223 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,574 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.