Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Compatible NONIN sensors from China
Compatible NONIN sensors from China
Hi,
EBAY is full of offers on imitations of nonin sensors.
You know that the original one costs about 600 USD, but is only a led because the real oximeter is a separate device (for example XPOD 3012LP).
Buying it for $ 20 is a great temptation, but I'm very afraid it will damage other equipment. What do you think?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Compatible NONIN sensors from China
As a user of the ResMed Adapter using Nonin's XPOD 3012LP, I would consult my goto pulse oximeter guy Kevin Cooper at Vendor #19 for advice.
I know the real sensors rarely fail and have a 2-year guarantee. The legit replacement sensor costs under $200.00. Check with Kevin.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2022, 08:17 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: As a user of the ResMed Adapter using Nonin's XPOD 3012LP, I would consult my goto pulse oximeter guy Kevin Cooper at Vendor #19 for advice.
I know the real sensors rarely fail and have a 2-year guarantee.  The legit replacement sensor costs under $200.00.  Check with Kevin.

Thanks!
I have the same oximetry kit and the led on the sensor is always lit and I'm afraid it will shorten its life. I can detach the sensor from the XPOD, but doing that every day can cause pins to lose contact. No way to detach Resmed Oxy Module from Aircurve, it's very fragile.
The most secure way is to unplug power supply, but in this case there are problems to my doctor in remote.
How do you behave with your kit?

Bye!
Paolo
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2022, 08:44 AM)nikonomikon Wrote: Thanks!
I have the same oximetry kit and the led on the sensor is always lit and I'm afraid it will shorten its life. I can detach the sensor from the XPOD, but doing that every day can cause pins to lose contact. No way to detach Resmed Oxy Module from Aircurve, it's very fragile.
The most secure way is to unplug power supply, but in this case there are problems to my doctor in remote.
How do you behave with your kit?

Bye!
Paolo
Paolo...

You are right, the ResMed S10 continuously powers the ResMed pulse-oximetry adapter and XPOD unit even with the power switch turned off. Since my unit transmits data daily, I leave the S10  plugged in. 

I was worried about the same things: LED life and pin damage to the expensive XPOD, Adapter, and S10 components. 

I bought a 1-meter Nonin DB-9 extension cord (part 00103473) that is placed between my sensor with the other end permanently attached to my XPOD unit input. The XPOD output is permanently attached to my ResMed Adapter which is permanently attached to the S10 unless I am traveling (When I leave, I remove the adapter with all the attached cords from the S10 and place everything in a plastic bag. 

At the end of a sleep session, I simply unplug the sensor from the extension cord attached to the XPOD to preserve the LED's life.  

Hence, no pin wear on the XPOD, Adapter, or S10. The only point of pin wear is between the sensor and the extension cord, both of which are cheaper to replace than the XPOD, Adapter, the S10 Adapter plug, or the S10 itself. And, greater life for the LED. 

Besides giving me more mobility, I have had no problem with the continuously-powered Adapter or XPOD for over five years, thus exceeding the S10's scheduled life of five years. I would rather replace the extension cord than the expensive XPOD, ResMed Adapter, or the Adapter plug on my S10. 

However, I am screwed if I upgrade to the S11 because there is no provision for a pulse oximeter. No port and no adapter. I suggested to ResMed and Nonin, that a Bluetooth box be developed to sit between my XPOD to transmit data to the S11. Nonin offered to sell me their device development kit to develop my own interface. ResMed's silence is deafening. 

My hope would be to get a pulse-ox data capture solution that can integrate with OSCAR. Things are not looking hopeful at the moment for such a solution to preserve my investment in my current pulse oximetry kit.  My workaround is to get the latest S10 for her manufactured with the 4G modem and extra algorithm) and wait for a solution in five years. Or buy something better than ResMed (if that exists).

Best,

Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the S11 support a Bluetooth oximeter?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2022, 11:03 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: Paolo...

You are right, the ResMed S10 continuously powers the ResMed pulse-oximetry adapter and XPOD unit even with the power switch turned off. Since my unit transmits data daily, I leave the S10  plugged in. 

I was worried about the same things: LED life and pin damage to the expensive XPOD, Adapter, and S10 components. 

I bought a 1-meter Nonin DB-9 extension cord (part 00103473) that is placed between my sensor with the other end permanently attached to my XPOD unit input. The XPOD output is permanently attached to my ResMed Adapter which is permanently attached to the S10 unless I am traveling (When I leave, I remove the adapter with all the attached cords from the S10 and place everything in a plastic bag. 

At the end of a sleep session, I simply unplug the sensor from the extension cord attached to the XPOD to preserve the LED's life.  

Hi Steve,
thanks very much for your kind reply!
I agree with you about the extension cord. Unfortunately I was unable to find it in Italian online stores or even in European ones. Outside, stores don't ship to Italy. The only cable I found is a fake chinese one at ridicolous 19USD. I bought it, but I prefer to find a original one.
My ResMed AirCurve was provided to me by the Italian public health system with no cost, even for maintenance (but we pay a lot of taxes for these services), after doctor certified severe OSAS (AHI 80.2) and very severe nocturnal hypoxemia (minimum SpO2 about 60%). But the oximeter kit was paid in full with my money and has no maintenance.
I was diagnosed with my condition on last January 27th after polysomnography: in that period I used a GIMA Oxy-50 oximeter compatible with OSCAR but they don't accept GIMA measurements because it's not validated by them. They give me the ResMed Oxy Kit for one night every month and I have to return the next day. First of all for my job it's not simple to have permissions for two consecutive days and saturation can vary a lot from night to night.
That's way I bought the kit and viewing the data on OSCAR has become a hobby for me. My personal AirCurve arrived on March 24th, so it's a new experience to me. Shy 

Have a nice day!
BR
Paolo

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2022, 01:33 PM)sawinglogz Wrote: Does the S11 support a Bluetooth oximeter?

As you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byF0LUrDygQ
AirSense11 has Bluetooth capabilities but it's not specified if a BT oximeter can be connected (probably BT is used only to trasmit data CPAP data to PC and smartphone).
Now it have a touch screen and a different design but it's a disappointement to me: there are not impressive changes from previous series and it is a lot more expensive.
Furthermore, accessories for AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 are not compatible like Humidifiier, air filters, climate circuit. Even the ResMed Oxi Kit is not compatible with 11.
After 6/7 years it has only minor improvements, that's why it's disappointing to me.

Bye!
Paolo
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2022, 11:03 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: I bought a 1-meter Nonin DB-9 extension cord (part 00103473) that is placed between my sensor with the other end permanently attached to my XPOD unit input. The XPOD output is permanently attached to my ResMed Adapter which is permanently attached to the S10 unless I am traveling (When I leave, I remove the adapter with all the attached cords from the S10 and place everything in a plastic bag. 

Ciao Steve,
finally I found it in a greek shop. It's not in stock now but I'll wait. The part number is different, but I verified that is correct.

Thanks!
Bye!
Paolo

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2022, 08:17 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: As a user of the ResMed Adapter using Nonin's XPOD 3012LP, I would consult my goto pulse oximeter guy Kevin Cooper at Vendor #19 for advice.
I know the real sensors rarely fail and have a 2-year guarantee.  The legit replacement sensor costs under $200.00.  Check with Kevin.

Hi Steve,
yesterday I received the "20 USD sensor" with XPOD 3012LP and ResMed Oxi module. I tried tonight and it worked very fine, like the original one.

BR
Paolo

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Paolo. 
I appreciate the update. 
Steve
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,847 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  [Equipment] Which 24 Hr Oximeter to buy & PC/Tablet compatible software EasySleep 0 342 11-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Compatible SD cards for ResMed AS11 suddenSomnolence 4 1,332 09-28-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  oxymeter compatible with macintosh Larrypac 1 434 01-14-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  [Equipment] NONIN Xpod + AirSense 10 - OSCAR compatible? mhoffmann 3 796 01-06-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: mhoffmann
  Philips foam issue - Sensors might be inaccurate ?? DaveCar 1 758 08-20-2021, 10:32 AM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Wrist oximeter compatible with oscar- which one to buy? sanemonk1 18 2,249 05-24-2021, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Ratchick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.