Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Complete Mask Failure!
Complete Mask Failure!
2 nights ago my mask for the first time started to leak which I found quite strange as I hadnt had leaks before. Last night my mask completely failed and could not get a seal at all. It is quite amazing just how quick the mask can die, lucky for me I phoned the clinic and my new mask will be here tomorrow. I had to argue with them and tell them NO just send the cushion as I already have about 6 masks, think tonight will be fun as Im nipping back onto my FX for the night. Would be nice is some kind of wear warning could be added so you can pre-order the cushion before it fails completely.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Complete Mask Failure!
Gaz, what kind of mask was this again? How long did it last? Are you using any facial ointments or moisturizers that might have caused the rubber to wear down quicker?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It was my Quattro full face and to be honest Im not sure how old it was will have to think of that, I know most cushons only last around 6 months but on my last visit which was an emergency appointment as I thought my machine had packed up. I told them I needed a new mask and they ask me if I wanted to try a different one so I asked for the FX. I worn this for about a week before I gave up on it but tonight I will be using it untill my Quattro comes.

Ok I think my Cushon was around 8 months old Oops

I guess I should have engaged my brain before posting as I have just answered my own question. Wouldnt it be nice if there was a shop and you could walk in and try every mask out today by sitting in a booth and hooking up to a machine in there, oh well maybe in the future lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, a shop to try masks would be a good thing, but it's probably way too expensive to operate successfully. Cool

At 8 months, you probably ran up against the "useful life" wall of most masks. Thinking-about

For those who use moisturizers or those who have mustaches or rough skin... those types of things will quickly wear down mask cushions. But Gaz, judging from some of your pictures, you're clean-shaven (all the way around your head), right? Smile

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gazby, my insurance will replace a cushion every 3 months. Perhaps it would be possible to keep an extra cushion on hand. The Quattro used to be my favorite mask, but after awhile the bridge of my nose broke down and I can't use it anymore. I am thinking of getting one to use a couple of times a week. I think it's a great mask, and I too am surprised that it failed so totally one night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2012, 07:44 AM)Gazby Wrote: Ok I think my Cushon was around 8 months old Oops

i may go straight to the record books. i have a respironics ultra mirage ff (4 yrs old), and a fisher pykel 432 ff (2 yrs old), that i have been rotating back and forth. never replaced anything on them. tried washing, tried boiling cushions. no help. i recently bought a cushion out of pocket from supplier 6 for the mirage. in january i decided to try a nose mask one more time. it didn't work again and i was too lazy to go trade it in, so i'm waiting my time to get a quattro fx. sure wish i would have brought that back.

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2012, 09:24 AM)zimlich Wrote: Gazby, my insurance will replace a cushion every 3 months. Perhaps it would be possible to keep an extra cushion on hand. The Quattro used to be my favorite mask, but after awhile the bridge of my nose broke down and I can't use it anymore. I am thinking of getting one to use a couple of times a week. I think it's a great mask, and I too am surprised that it failed so totally one night.

I get a new mask every 3 months but the cushion is replaced monthly. 8 months is definitely too long.... It held up well for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
If I'm reading correctly, you and I use the same mask.
My DME sent me 3 mask cushions a while back. Says, I can have a new one every 3 months.
My beard stubble shreds the cushion in 3 months.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2013, 03:52 PM)justMongo Wrote: If I'm reading correctly, you and I use the same mask.
My DME sent me 3 mask cushions a while back. Says, I can have a new one every 3 months.
My beard stubble shreds the cushion in 3 months.

yea, my DME has the schedule all wrong too. I can get a new cushion every month and I have done so for almost 3 years now. I don't know why DME's all have a different schedule as it all hinges on what medicare pays for and when. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2012, 07:44 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: It was my Quattro full face and to be honest Im not sure how old it was will have to think of that, I know most cushons only last around 6 months but on my last visit which was an emergency appointment as I thought my machine had packed up. I told them I needed a new mask and they ask me if I wanted to try a different one so I asked for the FX. I worn this for about a week before I gave up on it but tonight I will be using it untill my Quattro comes.

My quattro full face mask started leaking at the connector between the hose and the mask within a week of wearing it. When I called to ask for help, the supplier told me that the mask was designed not to leak there, so unless I could come into the store and show them how it is leaking (I am homebound) they could do nothing to help.

Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 198 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 267 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,393 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
  CPAP Failure, ASV Attempter, Still Failure ophiuchus 16 1,466 07-10-2023, 05:59 AM
Last Post: ophiuchus
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,630 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Set myself up for failure? Newbie768 4 574 01-15-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.