Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time.
Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time.
Hello,

Hopefully I dont get flamed and apologies in advance if I do. I got a RemStar Plus CPAP Model 1012668 from a private sale. I cant afford the sleep study/medical etc. Got new filters and new nasal pillows/tubes/head gear in sealed bags, also private sale. When I put it on and turn it on it feels harmless enough. Little bit of air sound leaking out the side...not sure if thats acceptable or???  

A phone snore detection app has made it obvious that I snore like a busted chainsaw but no indication of stopping breathing. I HAVE TO sleep on my side (again much snoring). If i sleep on my back...my breathing cuts off as soon as i fall asleep. I do have occasional headaches in the morning. I'll be trying it for the first time tonight with the existing settings. 

I have looked for user help videos for proper fit/air flow etc but no real luck.  Any pointers from experienced users here is really appreciated.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time.
Step #1: Defoam your CPAP. There are VERY good reasons for this. A inet search should show you how.

Step #2: Get OSCAR (Link in the black banner above. )

Step #3: Use your CPAP with a data card in it overnight. Then read that card using OSCAR and post your daily charts. It is the reading of those charts that will answer question that you have.

Small leaks are ok. Leaks are measured by the CPAP and the data will tell us how bad they are.

It sounds like your settings are off. Without knowing what your settings are it is impossible to see what needs to be adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP machine is not on the Phillips recall list. This info came straight from a Philips rep. Do I still need to Defoam it?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, and it won't work with Oscar either. This device will provide positive air pressure and may help relieve your symptoms. I hope you didn't pay more than about $50. Since there won't be any data, it's going to be very hard to coach you in optimizing the unit. My best advise is to set it to a pressure of 12.0 and use CFlex at 2. I hope someone will contact your with a donation unit that is actually useful. Just in case we see something, what part of the U.S. are you in, and what is your financial ability to upgrade? That device is at least 12 to 15 years old. I have gifted better ones.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in North Alabama. Huntsville area. 35601.  I have some flexibility on the finances but not what you may consider average resources. Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP machine (new) can be obtained for $359 and it has been as low as $299 recently at TheCPAPshop. They might even have a 20% coupon. If you do not have a prescription available, you can buy a used machine that is of current technology on sites like Craigslist, Offerup or Facebook Marketplace, however you need to use safe payment methods and ensure the sale is not fraudulent. If either of those would work for you, we can get you moving the right direction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 31 1,074 9 hours ago
Last Post: Montacute
  Inspiration and Expiration Time MrIvanDrago 18 1,157 04-22-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  My insp time is always longer than my exp time...is that bad? jake79 2 115 04-22-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  myAir when sleep time is 4am to 4pm the next day iknownothing 1 107 04-22-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 12 334 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 9 195 04-20-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 5 214 04-19-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.