Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Completed First Night
RE: Completed First Night
It sounds like your mask doesn't fit right. Not knowing what mask you have I can't really give you a specific fix. Try and update that on your profile. Here's a link to some information about masks. It should help you. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

When you get ready to change pressures the advice you'll probably get is minimum of 8 cm and a max pressure of 20cm to start. Also turning the ramp off is also recommended.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2018, 09:08 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: It sounds like your mask doesn't fit right. Not knowing what mask you have I can't really give you a specific fix. Try and update that on your profile. 

When you get ready to change pressures the advice you'll probably get is minimum of 8 cm and a max pressure of 20cm to start. Also turning the ramp off is also recommended.

I have Respironics Dreamwear in my profile.  Is that not the true name you guys are looking for in the mask?

Also, why is the ramp not recommended?  Made sense to me to not be blasted by the full force right away so just curious what the reasoning is for turning it off?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have two recommendations for you. First, you have Ramp on, and your therapy starts out of the box at too low of a pressure. Your ramp starts at 4 cm pressure and rises to therapy pressure (8-cm) in about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, you already are experiencing snores, and hypopnea and even RERA as a result of your pressure being too low at startup. This is a comfort setting and you are allowed to change it. You should increase the starting pressure to 6.0 cm and reduce the time to 15 minutes, or just turn it off once you don't need ramp. This is a consistent pattern, and fixing ramp will reduce your event rate significantly depending on the number of therapy breaks.

Your pressures are borderline low resulting in obstructive apnea (OA) and hypopnea (H). These are fairly distributed through the night. For fixed pressure, I would increase the pressure setting to 8.5, or simply change to Auto mode and use a minimum setting of 8.0 (prescription), and a maximum pressure of 10.0. This will nearly fix the problems and be more comfortable. It complies with your prescription, but will quickly show you that laboratory titration is imperfect because it is nothing more than a sample of your sleep. Your titrated pressure is technically correct and your AHI is less than 5.0, but it is NOT optimal. The best way to handle this is to simply make the change. If anyone objects, call the doctor's receptionist and leave a message why the change was made (excess events that cleared with in auto mode). This will not affect your compliance which is based solely on your use of the machine for 4 or more hours per day for 21 of 30 consecutive days in the first 90 days of therapy.

Your leaks are not a problem. You have almost no leaks through the night. The Respironics machines show two leak lines, the top one is the total leak (intentional venting + unintentional leak), and the bottom line is the unintentional leak. On your graphs, only the top line is visible, therefore you have no problem with this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using the Dreamwear with or without nasal pillows?
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
See my note in the post above. You have no excess leaks.
Quote:Your leaks are not a problem. You have almost no leaks through the night. The Respironics machines show two leak lines, the top one is the total leak (intentional venting + unintentional leak), and the bottom line is the unintentional leak. On your graphs, only the top line is visible, therefore you have no problem with this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, I was asking about the mask because he has a sore nose from the mask.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Oops, my mistake. Carry on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2018, 10:20 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Are you using the Dreamwear with or without nasal pillows?

This is what I have..... I'm guessing this is without nasal pillows?

[Image: MwDjlkFl.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny but I was just thinking of buying that. It sounds like your wearing it too tight. It shouldn't cause pressure pain. You might need a larger headgear.

I was reading on another site that some people were having more success using the large frame because they could wear it lower in the back making it more stable.

Might be something to look into.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2018, 11:30 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Funny but I was just thinking of buying that.  It sounds like your wearing it too tight. It shouldn't cause pressure pain. You might need a larger headgear.

Thanks.  I reached out to the RT also and she mentioned that I should loosen it up.  So tonight my 2 changes will be to loosen headband a bit, and remove the ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,878 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 885 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 935 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  I just completed my first week of using a machine. What does this data tell you? Max Maker 34 3,066 06-14-2021, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,136 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  DELETING old Private Messages prior to Jan 1, 2019 [completed] SuperSleeper 2 1,068 10-13-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,392 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.