Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Complex Apnea and Pain meds
Complex Apnea and Pain meds
Hi,
I went to a new Dr at shands today and he wants to do another sleep study using an ASV machine for my complex sleep apnea.They are setting it up for me.
He also said my pain medicine may be causing some of my central apneas.
My question is to those on here who have complex sleep apnea and are in chronic pain like me and take pain meds, did you reduce your meds and if so, did it help?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Complex Apnea and Pain meds
Hi laurie h,
It seems to me like I have read here on the board that opioid pain meds can cause more CAs but hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2014, 10:39 PM)laurie h Wrote: Hi,
I went to a new Dr at shands today and he wants to do another sleep study using an ASV machine for my complex sleep apnea.They are setting it up for me.

Hi laurie, welcome to the forum!

Opioid pain meds are known to cause central apneas in some (most?) patients.

I suggest that you take your full normal amount of prescription pain meds on the night of the ASV titration, so the Respiratory Technician (or whoever does the titration) will verify the machine can handle your normal full dose just fine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depend on the type pain medication, the ones contain opiate can cause central sleep apnea

Something to discuss with your doctor, lower doses or pain relief without opioid
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2014, 10:39 PM)laurie h Wrote: Hi,
My question is to those on here who have complex sleep apnea and are in chronic pain like me and take pain meds, did you reduce your meds and if so, did it help?
Thanks

Just started on the site, but this could of been written by me. morphine and methadon usage has been taking a toll on me for the last 11 years.
I am hoping to one day, sooner then later to reduce my meds
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, opiates are strongly linked to an increase in central apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 157 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,933 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.