Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Complex Sleep Apnea
Complex Sleep Apnea
I just came back from an appointemt with my sleep doctor, after having another sleep test this time in hosital, and he tells me that I have, "Complex Sleep Apnea" and will need an Adaptive Servo Ventilation machine, whatever that is, as the normal C-pap, A-pap, V-Pap machines will not work.
So what does an Adaptive Servo Ventilation machine look like and who makes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Complex Sleep Apnea
As far as I know, several of the major PAP manufacturers make ASV machines.  Here is a link to an association that offers educational information, and in this case the link is to their page dealing with adaptive servo-ventilation:

https://www.sleepassociation.org/sleep-t...ntilation/
Post Reply Post Reply
An ASV is the only machine designed to treat Central and mixed apnea.

Did you have a Diagnostic, titration or a split sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it's excellent news that your doc has recognised the complex apnea and the machine needed to treat it. Here is Resmed's ASV model: https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-...ewave.html

As you can see, it looks just like an ordinary CPAP but has some very intelligent logic circuits which measure your breathing continually and respond to changes almost instantly. The machine does take a little getting used to, but once you come to an accommodation with it, you will find it very comfortable, and get excellent low AHI. The great majority of users prefer the Resmed machine to the Philips Respironics version, which people find less comfortable and less efficacious.

The downside is that these machines are far more expensive than ordinary CPAP, so you should definitely shop around for the best deal, both here and in the United States.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2019, 02:37 AM)bonjour Wrote: An ASV is the only machine designed to treat Central and mixed apnea.

I originally had an in home sleep study a couple of months ago, and found my OSA were between 15 to 25, the C-pap and V-pap machines I tried were getting to OSA down to around 0.4 to 0.5, but I was still as tied as hell, so my sleep doctor arranged for me to have an in hospital sleep clinic sleep test with all the bells and whistles, they already knew I had Central Apneas, but it has turned out to be Complex Sleep Apnea, where my brain is just sitting there when I am not breating and doing nothing
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2019, 03:48 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Well it's excellent news that your doc has recognised the complex apnea and the machine needed to treat it. Here is Resmed's ASV model:  https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-...ewave.html

As you can see, it looks just like an ordinary CPAP but has some very intelligent logic circuits which measure your breathing continually and respond to changes almost instantly. The machine does take a little getting used to, but once you come to an accommodation with it, you will find it very comfortable, and get excellent low AHI. The great majority of users prefer the Resmed machine to the Philips Respironics version, which people find less comfortable and less efficacious.

The downside is that these machines are far more expensive than ordinary CPAP, so you should definitely shop around for the best deal, both here and in the United States.
Thanks, that link was very informative, but isn't US power supply different to Australia's and what about warranties?
Post Reply Post Reply
The power supplies work pretty much everywhere, with voltages from 110 to 240 VAC. You just need to swap the power cable to Australian standard ($10 at JB HiFi).

Warranty is a big issue - Resmed Australia expressly exclude warranties on machines bought overseas. If you purchase in Oz the standard warranty is 3 years and you can get that extended to 5 if you join the Sleepvantage program. Having said that the machines are very reliable, and of course you can return it to the States for warranty work if necessary.

If buying offshore you need to factor in the relative value of the AUD vs USD, plus freight / postage, and a Customs handling fee (about $80 last time I looked). Prices on the ASV vary considerably and are often more expensive in the US, so make sure you shop carefully.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2019, 05:37 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: The power supplies work pretty much everywhere, with voltages from 110 to 240 VAC. You just need to swap the power cable to Australian standard ($10 at JB HiFi).

Warranty is a big issue - Resmed Australia expressly exclude warranties on machines bought overseas. If you purchase in Oz the standard warranty is 3 years and you can get that extended to 5 if you join the Sleepvantage program. Having said that the machines are very reliable, and of course you can return it to the States for warranty work if necessary.

If buying offshore you need to factor in the relative value of the AUD vs USD, plus freight / postage, and a Customs handling fee (about $80 last time I looked). Prices on the ASV vary considerably and are often more expensive in the US, so make sure you shop carefully.

Thnaks for the info
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:29 AM)AFM1 Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 02:37 AM)bonjour Wrote: An ASV is the only machine designed to treat Central and mixed apnea.

I originally had an in home sleep study a couple of months ago, and found my OSA were between 15 to 25, the C-pap and V-pap machines I tried were getting to OSA down to around 0.4 to 0.5, but I was still as tied as hell, so my sleep doctor arranged for me to have an in hospital sleep clinic sleep test with all the bells and whistles, they already knew I had Central Apneas, but it has turned out to be Complex Sleep Apnea, where my brain is just sitting there when I am not breating and doing nothing
Trying to see when centrals were first observed, how many of each type of apnea (index).  Why is to determine the specific cause, if any, of YOUR Central apnea.  Is it Treatment Emergent Central Apnea?  If not, and I understand complex apnea, then the ASV is the correct machine.  Otherwise there is some question.  I don't want anyone in the high pressure support and forced breaths of ASV unless it is necessary.  I just haven't seen enough of your early history to know.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.