Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Odd odor from repaired CPAP (motor blower Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset) Suggestions?
Gross 
Odd odor from repaired CPAP (motor blower Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset) Suggestions?
The other day, my repaired cpap machine arrived back home.  The repair was done at a recommended, Resmed factory-authorized shop; I was impressed with the quick turn-around and my once-again quiet machine.  

HOWEVER, the air that comes through the tube and into my mouth has a strong, odd, sweet-ish, cleanser-type of odor!  I called the repair shop, only to be told that they have never heard of that!  They said that they don't use any chemical/cleanser inside the machine, only a cleanser where the water chamber goes.  But that didn't smell at all and I wiped it down to be sure. 

The smell persists after two nights (my husband is using it).  For one, the odor shouldn't be there.  My husband is being nice to tolerate the smell, but also I wonder if the odor has any icky stuff in it that shouldn't be breathed. 

I'm going to call the repair shop again, but I'd really like any input from this forum on what it might be, etc.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Odd odor from repaired CPAP (motor blower Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset) Suggestions?
I have no clue really. It might be a blower motor lubricant or similar.

Would you consider putting Ozium on a cotton ball and have the scent be pulled through the PAP to see if that clears it up? I'd not directly spray it into the PAP. If done, run the PAP without mask on. WalMart, Dollar General, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc. have cans of this that may help. Not sure if that's an acceptable solution, but that's what I first thought of to resolve it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Odd odor from repaired CPAP (motor blower Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset) Suggestions?
Thanks for the suggestion.  It's not only about the odor, but why is it there, where is it from, is it at all harmful, and has this ever happened to anyone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2021, 09:16 PM)UncollapseMeThroat Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion.  It's not only about the odor, but why is it there, where is it from, is it at all harmful, and has this ever happened to anyone else.

I had a similar experience about a month ago. I had just started therapy on this particular machine (only two weeks in) and was loving it. Then the supplier decided to take my NEW unit back and replace it with what turned out to be a used one. That whole debacle is another story, but the new (used) unit had a really weird smell that reminded me somewhat of incense. It made my throat annoyed as soon as I put the mask on. Hubby said it smelled like a wound disinfectant he had in the hospital.

I'm not sure what it was, but I was unable to remove the smell and changing the filter didn't do anything either. It must have been from the machine itself because that was the only thing changedI have lung issues and am really sensitive to amoke and irritants so I ended up with a sore throat and inflammation in my airways after only about three hours. I returned the unit and fired the supplier. Couldn't trust a word they said. My guess, however, is that it's some kind of disinfectant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like the Philips foam, plastics can also off-gas VOC's and the odor may be particularly strong when new, particularly coming from a sealed box. The plastics in a new car will off-gas and gradually the odor fades away.
https://www.detailsmatterllc.com/car-int...f-gassing/

I suspect the odor should dissipate over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very likely a disinfectant of some sort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our new cpaps never had this odor, so if my repaired unit is off-gassing, would that apply to new cpaps?

The repair shop said that the only cleanser they used (Simple Green) was the area where the water chamber goes, but that area didn't have an odor.  They said that they don't use any cleanser or disinfectant inside of the machine.

The good thing is that the odor is fading.  My husband has been OK with the odor.  

We have another cpap in need of repair, so hmmm, not sure which place to take it, so we'll have to see.  Like I mentioned in my initial post, the repair shop had a quick turnaround and the cpap runs very quietly now.
Post Reply Post Reply
The repair may have involved a brand new part that emitted the odor. Even my 18 month old CPAP occasionally will have an odor from the water tray if it should happen to run out of water during the night. I suspect the heat beneath the plastic tank may cause an off-gassing odor of sorts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fwiw, I notice when I travel that just the environment will attach a foreign odor that last a while before dissipating. Could have just been the smell of something sitting on the workbench, if indeed they didn't use any disinfectant, that I don't believe. BTW, Simple Green is pretty strong and being a degreaser, seems to be an odd cleaner to be using on these machines. Just my opinion.

I suppose if it's not offensive and it's going away...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 351 40 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,717 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 105 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,594 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.