Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Compliance & BiPAP Pressure Adjusting
Compliance & BiPAP Pressure Adjusting
Newbie Question:

Does insurance compliance only require PAP machine usage time (ex. BCBS of AL requires 70% of days at >4Hrs for 10 months) or do they require PAP usage that is based on the "time using doctor's prescription"?

The reason why I am questioning this is that after 2 months of dealing with the side effects of my high pressure prescription, I finally saw my sleep doctor for the first time since my sleep studies. He reduced my pressures in half. However, I think that my settings can be tweaked to bring my AHI down more, but I'm afraid that deviating from my prescription will throw me out of compliance. And I can't afford to pay back the money that my insurance company covered for my $5000 BiPAP.   

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Compliance & BiPAP Pressure Adjusting
Insurances don't verify prescription settings, they only look at the time your using therapy. You have to prove compliance in the first 90 days. doesn't matter if dr. changed your settings 2/3 of the way through you only have 1 month left to prove compliance. If you had changed to a different machine, say advanced to bipap from cpap, then you would get 90 more days to prove compliance with bipap.

Hope that answers your question....
Post Reply Post Reply
$5000 BiPAP, something up there ... Hell I am on ASV and just got the new Aircurve and it was not even close to that ... Also there isn't a 10 month compliance.. it is whatever machine you are on, using it for 70% of the time for 30 days at a min of 4 hours a night, you have 90 days to complete this ..
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. Thank you for your response.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2018, 03:51 PM)BTS1 Wrote: $5000 BiPAP, something up there ... Hell I am on ASV and just got the new Aircurve and it was not even close to that ... Also there isn't a 10 month compliance.. it is whatever machine you are on, using it for 70% of the time for 30 days at a min of 4 hours a night, you have 90 days to complete this ..

I misunderstood about the 10 months. That’s the wait period before insurance will pay for pap related supplies. DME’s make a big profit. I saw my same machine online for as cheap as $3999 not including modem, tubing and mask. Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 204 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 4 492 03-11-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 104 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 222 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,156 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  candidate for bipap??? eok361 6 440 02-17-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: eok361
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 147 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.