Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Compliance, Masks, & Medicare
Compliance, Masks, & Medicare
I've done a lot of reading in the forums and I am trying to figure out if A. I'm reading old outdated info, B. My DME company is making things up, or C. Both.

When I met with the respiratory therapist from the DME company, she said that I had to have 30 consecutive days of 5+hours of cpap usage in order for Medicare to agree to purchase (after 13 monthly payments) the machine. I believe I read in the forum that Medicare requires 4 hours of use for a certain percentage (70%?) of 30 days.

Clarification?

The other question/issue is about masks. I think I read something somewhere (maybe not in this forum, or maybe so--can't remember, stupid sleep apnea!) that during the first 30 days of cpap treatment, the patient could try on multiple masks and that the DME would be able to return them and be reimbursed for ones not purchased. When I met with the respiratory therapist the second time, when I realized the mask I'd been given wasn't going to work, she said that I was allowed to try (and reject/return) two masks on each mask replacement period (which was either ever 30 or 60 days).

The confusing part is that after I tried on and failed my second mask, she went and got a third one and then sent me home with all three saying they were just going to be thrown away.

Again, can anyone clarify?

Thanks,
SSA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Compliance, Masks, & Medicare
My understanding the DME get refunded for the mask from the manufacturer but need to fill the paper works

They,re telling you fibs about Medicare guidelines.
1- Determining patient compliance with the S9
The ResMed S9 displayed information meets Medicare criteria for visual inspection of adherence demonstrating the patient is using the device for four or more hours per night for 70% of nights in a consecutive 30-day period http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...liance.pdf

2- Physician review of objective evidence of adherence (defined as use of PAP ≥4 hours per night on 70% of nights during a consecutive 30-day period) via direct download or visual inspection of usage data http://www.resmed.com/us/documents/10134...ilevel.pdf

Replacement allowance (page 6)
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc..._Hints.pdf

Edit: the link to Medicare gone kaput or maybe not allowing me in, as being an outsider Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
just curious: How much are the 13 monthly payments? Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion is your DME is making stuff up.

With regard to the masks, there is nothing I am aware of in the Medicare documentation that the DME has to take the mask back. Dont-know

Sleep-well

@Shastzi

With regard to your question as to costs, it depends on what type of machine you have (a standard CPAP should be cheaper than an APAP which should be cheaper than a VPAP), and if you have any type of Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement policy in addition to Medicare or not.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting information, Zonk. You have been so helpful to me. I've learned more from you in a matter of a few days than from my physician and DME provider over the past two years.

As a previous Clinical Compliance Auditor, I know that most all insurances follow Medicare Guidelines pretty closely. I have Tricare insurance, which is also a Government payor for retired military personnel. My DME provider told me that if a mask doesn't work for me, I only have one exchange option. I was told the mask I return is "sent back to the company and refurbished for resale". I only get replacement items every six months. DME companies would benefit from selling replacement items as often as possible, so why would they lie about how often people can get accessories? Strange.... Looks like I need to check out my insurance regs related to CPAP. It is disgusting that people have to research every thing they are told since the truth is so elusive now days!
Post Reply Post Reply
Doctors and DME providers have two reasons for not filling you in completely. First, they may want to maximize their profits. Second, they may have learned from experience that it's not a good idea to overwhelm patients with more information than they need.

Medicare and insurance company guidelines are changing.

Equipment providers have their own policies, too, and it's hard to sort out which guidelines are being made up by them and which are imposed on them by insurance companies and government agencies like Medicare.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am on Medicare and Medicaid. Medicare is what pays for my CPAP stuff. With my S9 Escape, which I have had for over 3 yrs (although I use the Autoset now) no one has ever asked about compliance information.

Before the S9, I had the S7. I was called once a year to bring it in to have the pressure tested. He never checked the hours (or if he did, he memorized them because he never wrote anything down). Once the state made the switch and only RTs or nurses could touch the machines or see the "patients", no one asked me to bring in the machine to make sure it still worked right.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare is not uniform throughout the US.
They set new standards in large metro areas to see if they can save money (of course the process itself actually costs Medicare more.)

I got my S8 in 2009 on a 13 month rental under Medicare. No one checked my compliance other than to ask me.
I do not recall what the monthly reimbursement rental was.
My DME gave me a refurbished S8 to maximize their profit.

<RANT> The government was happy to tax the baby boom generation to pay for Social Security and Medicare -- now that the Baby Boomers are on the receiving end, they change the goal line; change the method for calculating CPI for the annual COLA; and lower physician reimbursement. </RANT>
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2013, 09:45 AM)Donna Wrote: Interesting information, Zonk. You have been so helpful to me. I've learned more from you in a matter of a few days than from my physician and DME provider over the past two years.

As a previous Clinical Compliance Auditor, I know that most all insurances follow Medicare Guidelines pretty closely. I have Tricare insurance, which is also a Government payor for retired military personnel. My DME provider told me that if a mask doesn't work for me, I only have one exchange option. I was told the mask I return is "sent back to the company and refurbished for resale". I only get replacement items every six months. DME companies would benefit from selling replacement items as often as possible, so why would they lie about how often people can get accessories? Strange.... Looks like I need to check out my insurance regs related to CPAP. It is disgusting that people have to research every thing they are told since the truth is so elusive now days!

Interesting. I am also on Tricare and get a new mask and assembly, hose, and filter every three months (whether I need it or not) and a new water tank every six months.

Paul

Post Reply Post Reply
I can get the water chamber and headgear every six months.

A new mask assembly and hose every three months.

The cushion and 2 filters every month.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 151 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 202 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.