Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still too many hypopneas
Surprised 
Still too many hypopneas
I was diagnosed with severe complex sleep apnea and treatment started at 17/11 with back up at 10min. I saw the Doc today and she is mostly pleased with the treatment (as am I). She said she would like to decrease my central events a little bit more and would like to change my settings. I am a CRNA and she is letting me chose the adjustments. Any advice? Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still too many hypopneas
Hi Mike1951,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions and answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still too many hypopneas
(02-25-2016, 08:05 PM)Mike1951 Wrote: I was diagnosed with severe complex sleep apnea and treatment started at 17/11 with back up at 10min. I saw the Doc today and she is mostly pleased with the treatment (as am I). She said she would like to decrease my central events a little bit more and would like to change my settings. I am a CRNA and she is letting me chose the adjustments. Any advice? Mike

Hi Mike1951,

If you are having too many hypopneas, perhaps these may be central hypopneas, meaning the machine has partially treated a central apnea, improving it into an hypopnea.

The way ASV machines treat central apneas is by automatically increasing
Pressure Support.

If you have an AirCurve 10 ASV or an AirCurve 10 CS Pacewave (same machine, I think, but named differently in different countries) the backup rate will be set automatically, not manually adjustable by the user. Will start at your recent breathing rate and will gradually transition toward 15 breaths per minute.

What are your settings for the following?

If in ASV mode:
EPAP:
Min PS:
Max PS:

If in ASVAuto mode:
Min EPAP:
Max EPAP:
Min PS:
Max PS:

In general, if PS is going to be able to do for us all the work of breathing during what would have been a central apnea, Max PS needs to be around 10 or higher for patients with normal healthy lung function.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 218 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 153 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Hypopneas resolved, CA's persist--help! AZAwake 5 431 01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 506 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed - mostly centrals & hypopneas - advice please :) sleepymum81 5 846 08-31-2023, 09:32 PM
Last Post: jwest
  [Treatment] Difficulty with TECSA and Hypopneas jjl468 7 1,020 08-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: jjl468
Question Ozempic and increased hypopneas arpegio 2 692 06-11-2023, 04:30 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.