Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Compliance for Medicare supplies
Compliance for Medicare supplies
I know 70% compliance is required for Medicare to buy a CPAP machine.  But how much compliance is required to keep getting supplies paid by Medicare?  No one at Medicare, Supplier, or ResMed seems to know!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Compliance for Medicare supplies
Not that logic ever had anything to do with Medicare, but I would guess if you don't have a Medicare authorized machine, they won't be paying for supplies for one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been getting supplies under Medicare for several years. The compliance requirement is the same. Up until lately my DME has asked me to verify my compliance for at least 21 of the previous 30 days. Now that I have a data capable wireless machine they have told me that big brother will be watching. They will monitor compliance and not provide supplies if I don't meet the requirement. They told me that many private insurers are now doing the same.

Medicare also requires a followup visit with your Dr. at least annually.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also, I got my original machine before I went on Medicare. Medicare covered supplies but required confirmation of a "face to face" visit with my Dr. before providing coverage.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't matter to MC how the machine was provided. Example: Could have been provided under a private insurer before the person became MC eligible. I bought my current machine out-of-pocket from one of the listed suppliers. I did give the DME who provides supplies the serial numbers. In the 6+ years of CPAP, I have never been asked to show compliance data.

I've been getting my supplies from a MC approved DME. I get different stories on how often a doc must be seen to continue to receive supplies. One source says 6 months; another says annually.

It has become a pain to get supplies under MC since they went to Competitive Bid on 01 July 2016.
I can no longer get supplies form my local sleep center. They come mail order from the east coast.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare Compliance requirement changed recently. You have to provide a new prescription and doctor's notes that indicate discussion of the cpap/bipap use ANNUALLY. Now, I say recently because before, they accepted lifetime prescriptions. My bro has a 99 year prescription from his previous primary, so we're waiting to see what will happen on that. He will have had his current machine for 2 years in May. If all they need is his data card, that's a no brainer - I can print from Sleepyhead and it shows he used it virtually every night.

If your supplier is ragging on about 6 months, ask them to email you a copy of the requirement because Medicare says once a year.

I'm just getting some extra supplies in the meantime for myself so that I can stretch it out to my regular visit with my doc and have the supply train come from his office. I don't want to go to the sleep clinic anymore. I see no point in paying for an extra visit with someone who doesn't actually do anything (I never see the doc now).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jrh0,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.