Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Compliance - so what?
Compliance - so what?
I spent a good amount of time on the phone with my insurance company. They do NOT require compliance nor compliance checks/info.

My DME (which is also my sleep dr's office) is insisting on compliance checks.

If my insurance doesn't care, then what's the big deal?

Mainly, I don't want to sleep next to a cellular component in the CPAP machine (it causes me insomnia and restless sleep).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Compliance - so what?
Ask for Respironics machine. They will give you a separate modem. Just remove it and store it in your case. Disabling the modem feature in a Resmed machine is possible but likely will void your warranty if done by an unauthorized technician. You can certaintly do it. I think someone uploaded photos. You need a torx screwdriver (was about $10 at the local hardware store).

This was one thread on how to do it. I thought I saw photos on it somewhere as well, but don't know how to find that thread.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...dem+resmed

If you plan to get a Resmed machine, call the DME and tell them that you would like to talk to the person who repairs their Resmed machines. Arrange to have them disable it before you take it. It will solve both your problem and the risk to your warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can just wrap the damn thing in aluminium foil and mess up the reception, then tell me the darn thing is broken lol
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 09:01 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I spent a good amount of time on the phone with my insurance company. They do NOT require compliance nor compliance checks/info.

My DME (which is also my sleep dr's office) is insisting on compliance checks.

If my insurance doesn't care, then what's the big deal?

Mainly, I don't want to sleep next to a cellular component in the CPAP machine (it causes me insomnia and restless sleep).

If compliance monitoring is not required for insurance reimbursement, then you have the right to decline the request of your doctor to maintain a record you do not want kept, and you can decline to provide that information. If it is merely the cellular data issue, then tell them you will bring in the SD card at your next appointment, and discuss your CPAP treatment and effectiveness.

Be clear about your limits, and how you want your care managed. You cannot be forced to provide anything you do not want to consent to.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You say your insurance doesn't care. Normally, if they are paying rental to a DME for your machine, then they care.
It depends on whatever agreement you have with the DME and insurance on payment of the machine.

The DME will want to cover their butt by enforcing compliance, simply because they want to be paid by your insurance.

Usually, compliance is only the first 90 days, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I personally don't like being monitored by "big brother" either, so I understand what you are saying. Just make sure you are getting the correct information from your insurance. I have found that out of 10 people you may talk to at insurance, one or two might have a clue. Same goes with DME!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not these machines have an "Airplane Mode" that shuts off communications?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 02:50 PM)justMongo Wrote: Do not these machines have an "Airplane Mode" that shuts off communications?

Indeed they do.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 02:51 PM)sonicboom Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 02:50 PM)justMongo Wrote: Do not these machines have an "Airplane Mode" that shuts off communications?

Indeed they do.

Is the airplane mode for the Bluetooth function, the cellular aspect, or both?

I'd also like to disable the Bluetooth.
Post Reply Post Reply
it is for the same things as a laptop or cell phone on a place. it is airplane mode after all. it turns off ALL RF emissions from the equipment. This will do what you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 12:37 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Ask for Respironics machine. They will give you a separate modem. Just remove it and store it in your case. Disabling the modem feature in a Resmed machine is possible but likely will void your warranty if done by an unauthorized technician.

Thank you for all of that info. I'd been trying to figure out how the 2 machines varied in that way, and that's very helpful.

At my appt earlier this week, they were going to give me the DreamStation. After further review here, I've decided that IS the one I want. And reading what you wrote about the 2 machines only reassures me that that's the better choice.

(01-12-2017, 02:14 PM)Galactus Wrote: Can just wrap the damn thing in aluminium foil and mess up the reception, then tell me the darn thing is broken lol

Yes! Great idea! I'll connect it via an aluminum tube to the tinfoil hat on my head!

(01-12-2017, 02:34 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If compliance monitoring is not required for insurance reimbursement, then you have the right to decline the request of your doctor to maintain a record you do not want kept, and you can decline to provide that information. If it is merely the cellular data issue, then tell them you will bring in the SD card at your next appointment, and discuss your CPAP treatment and effectiveness.

Be clear about your limits, and how you want your care managed. You cannot be forced to provide anything you do not want to consent to.

Thank you!!!!!! I feel very empowered after reading what you wrote. I will go into my appt tomorrow with your words on my mind.

(01-12-2017, 02:37 PM)OpalRose Wrote: You say your insurance doesn't care. Normally, if they are paying rental to a DME for your machine, then they care.
It depends on whatever agreement you have with the DME and insurance on payment of the machine.

The DME will want to cover their butt by enforcing compliance, simply because they want to be paid by your insurance.

Usually, compliance is only the first 90 days, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I personally don't like being monitored by "big brother" either, so I understand what you are saying. Just make sure you are getting the correct information from your insurance. I have found that out of 10 people you may talk to at insurance, one or two might have a clue. Same goes with DME!

My insurance company is easy to work with. We had a good, long, and productive conversation yesterday, and they absolutely do not require compliance.

DME told me compliance would be for the entirety of the 13 month rental. If it would've only been 90 days, I may have just gone along with it. But 13 months is a very long time to be spied on, as well as sleeping next to that radiation.

And yes, the big brother aspect entirely creeps me out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,452 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 433 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  compliance question singergal67 7 644 06-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: singergal67
  Vacation - CPAP compliance was amazing, now home and I'm struggling again Muhlyssa 3 509 05-26-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Muhlyssa
  Medicare Compliance Question plakky 9 1,481 03-03-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  out of compliance because of not getting much sleep narual 5 596 02-17-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.