Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Compression stockings may ease sleep apnea
Surprised 
Compression stockings may ease sleep apnea
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sleep...9920150109
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25620198

Quote:In the new study, 22 patients with obstructive sleep apnea who wore compression stockings during the day for two weeks saw their frequency of apneas decrease by 27 percent, compared to 23 patients who didn’t wear the stockings, Dr. T. Douglas Bradley and colleagues report in Sleep Medicine.
Quote:This new study points to another potential mechanism, Bradley told Reuters Health. He believes fluid can move from the legs into the neck, restrict the flow of oxygen and cause obstructive sleep apnea.
Maybe useful for people whose job requires them to be standing all the time?  Thinking-about
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Compression stockings may ease sleep apnea
Interesting theory. The change in AHI is very modest and wouldn't allow anybody to come off CPAP. But as you say it would be of help to people who are on their feet all day.

Over the past few years we've seen a lot of different approaches and gadgets, but nothing is as effective as the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thinking-about

Not sure about this.

I have been wearing compression stockings for about two months.  They have helped lessen the pain in my legs tremendously. (I have worked standing up for over 25 years).  But, as far as helping with MY OSA, not a bit.

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
If wearing compression socks allows the excess fluid too be eliminated by the kidneys during the day, I suppose it could also reduce the need for nighttime urination.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would have been nice if the study excluded those with heart issues just so we could be clear about causes and effects.
The diagnosed OSA population has more than it's fair share of heart issues.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 291 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.