Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Computer Monitor Linearity
[Image: Indian_head_test_pattern_labeled.png]

Blow that image up to full screen and measure the circle height and width. Some may be surprised ti find that the circle is actually an oval. To blow it up, hold the ctrl key down while pressing the + key repeatedly until it fills the screen. If you go too far, press the - key (still holding the ctrl key down) When you finish, restore the normal size by holding the ctrl key and pressing the 0 (zero) key.

If your circle isn't round, not to worry, you can fix that.

For example, if you're running Windows7, click the start button and type "resolution" in the search screen > click "adjust screen resolution" > click the scroll icon in the resolution field > notice the "recommended resolution" that is shown.

That is the "native" resolution of your monitor. That is what you should be set on to display things with the best linearity.

However, if that setting causes thing to display too small to your liking, then select some lower setting but be sure to pick one with the same aspect ratio.

For example, if the recommended resolution is 1920 X 1080 (as mine is) then divide the larger number by the smaller and you'll get the aspect ratio, which is 1.78 in this case. I find that it renders item too small at that setting, so I choose 1280 X 720. That's the same aspect ratio and it renders much larger items on screen. Clear as mud, what?

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
My horizontal damper diode is defective; and my 1B3 is ready to go.
Should I discharge the doorknob?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not that 20 kv static charge snap from the crt that hurts you, it's all that meat you lose when withdrawing your arm so rapidly from amid all those sharp metal projections back in there. Big Grin

Just think, back in the day, using a grounding strap on your wrist would have been inviting trouble. That was well demonstrated when working on the AC/DC radios of that era since they had one side of the line connected to the chassis! You were subject to the luck of the draw, depending on how you plugged the non-polarized cord into the receptacle. Smart techs eventually bought Variacs for the isolation characteristic, among other reasons.

Incidentally, of all the tubes in the old TV's, I found that the 1B3 was the least likely one to fail. I carried one in my tube caddy for 6 years and still had it when I folded my tent and moved to other pursuits. Big Grin

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

surferdude2,
Thanks for clarifying that. I was always told that you should keep drinking until the pattern looked round. Wink
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2016, 12:20 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: surferdude2,
Thanks for clarifying that. I was always told that you should keep drinking until the pattern looked round. Wink

I'm a huge fan of that method and always try it first. Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2016, 11:22 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: It's not that 20 kv static charge snap from the crt that hurts you, it's all that meat you lose when withdrawing your arm so rapidly from amid all those sharp metal projections back in there. Big Grin

He ain't kidding about that. Have the scars to prove it. ;-)

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

(10-29-2016, 11:22 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: It's not that 20 kv static charge snap from the crt that hurts you, it's all that meat you lose when withdrawing your arm so rapidly from amid all those sharp metal projections back in there..........

Dude

ha-ha!, I remember in my youth, repairing a TV in a client's home, he was testing with screwdriver from the metal chassis to the PL504 tube to see if had high voltage.

gave me a big cramp, abruptly remove the arm, elbow, my arm went to the jawbone of my client who was watching too closely watching repair, he remained without a tooth less.

[Image: serveimage?url=http:%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot....113539ba4d]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow JustMongo passed away [Apnea Board Monitor] SuperSleeper 49 3,477 10-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Bubster
Gross Sudden computer shutdown DeepBreathing 26 1,755 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Need computer help......... GrammaBear 33 2,761 01-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 813 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  2 OSs, one computer and two drives ? justMongo 9 1,994 05-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
Grin Senior Computer Skills Crimson Nape 9 1,425 05-08-2015, 01:52 AM
Last Post: leximorph19
  Man kills Dell Computer justMongo 8 2,254 04-25-2015, 02:17 PM